· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Toying with a new idea for my 55..

0 Not allowed!
    Was wondering how many angels could be kept in a 55 gal and what other fish could be kept with them? I'd like to have just one type of center piece fish and a few others to compliment them. I've been looking at other peoples tanks and really love the look of the angels. Might be getting a larger tank to rehome my current stock and it seems a waste to leave a perfectly good tank empty.
    55: 2 small angels, 8 bloodfins, 6 black neons, 8 cories, 2 otos
    20: 1 gbr, 1 golden ram, 1 bolivian, 5 danios, 4 head and tail tetras
    10 QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a mated pair, two. If not, I would stick to a single angel and add community fish such as larger tetra's. If you have 125 gallon with tons of plants, you could have more but angels are just too aggressive.

My 55 have one with some rainbows. I started with more and it just doesn't work.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would bloodfin tetras be big enough to hold their own? I have 8 right now and they look beautiful when they swim together.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, they would be great and if you like them a lot, you could up that school of 20 if you wanted. The larger the schools of tetras, the better. My largest school has been 43.
    I like big schools. :)

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitym
    Would bloodfin tetras be big enough to hold their own? I have 8 right now and they look beautiful when they swim together.
    +1 to LH advice on the angel.

Absolutely, I have bloodfins with Angels that are over 4"" body size with no issues.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fantastic!! Looks like I might be rehoming some fish sooner than expected. I'm expecting a move in the near future so I've got plenty of time to plan and aquire the appropriate plants/rocks/wood for everything. Will be upgrading my filtration as well. Right now I've got two HOB filters that are double sided.. No idea what kind exactly. Been thinking of going to a couple of aquaclear filters since IME they're quieter. Any advice as far as filtration and decor goes? I've never kept angels before, and I'd like to make it as natural as possible. I've got some driftwood, rocks, and plants but nothing elaborate.

0 Not allowed!
    Natural is the way to go. Nothing more natural than rocks and wood. If you go with plants, you may want to stick with some crypts, java fern and anubias or you'll have to upgrade your lights. The fern and anubias can just be attached to your wood as they are not to be planted.

Aqua Clear 110 is a good filter, quiet with a great flow rate. Canister filters are awesome. Nothing has to be done right now, either, and you can upgrade as you move along into the hobby.