· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Have a look at these

0 Not allowed!
    Supposedly a newly discovered species of rainbow. I might have to try to find some next time I'm in Papua. (ha ha ha)

Here's the website. It's rather strangely written and oddly lacking in details, so I'm not sure how much credence to give it. Hope it's true, though, and if it is, I hope they are harvested responsibly and not eradicated--those are some lovely fish.

http://www.fxdirectory.info/new-fish...icolor-545.htm

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't see a date on the article... Wonder how old it is and whether some of these fish could've found their way into the aquarium trade already... They look a bit like Fishing Phil's mystery rainbows!
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger
    --those are some lovely fish.
    I agree
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79
    I didn't see a date on the article... Wonder how old it is and whether some of these fish could've found their way into the aquarium trade already... They look a bit like Fishing Phil's mystery rainbows!
    I wondered about the age of the article, too. I also wondered if someone around here would have seen them before. I'd like to know what they're called and if they're available. Amazing colors.

[Gollum voice] I wantsssss it...[/Gollum voice]

0 Not allowed!
    I did a google search by date, it came up as Dec 26th, 2011

Edit: Not sure if that means anything though.
    Last edited by MLBfan; 02-11-2012 at 03:44 AM.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've also been doing some googling and it looks like some rainbow forums have posts regarding the discovery of a new species, Melanotaenia salawati, in early December of 2011.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those are some gorgeous fish. I wonder what the tank requirements are for these guys.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think they're Melanotaenia duboulayi, at least, if this website is correct. But that would mean the other one is incorrect...Ah, the joys of rainbowfish identification. Anyway, if this is them, there's a lot of color variation, which is no surprise.

So, I just did a google search on Melanotaenia duboulayi. Here's the wiki. Lots of other articles about them. Looks like common names are Eastern Rainbow fish, Crimson spotted rainbow fish, and Duboulay's rainbow fish. Looks like they've been in aquariums for quite a long time. I wonder why they aren't better known.

Tom

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As much as I hope that's what my mystery rainbows turn out to be, I doubt it. Those are some gorgeous fish, thanks for sharing!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome! I suspect the original website I posted was just reporting on a new species, but they didn't have a picture of it, so they put up a picture of a different species.

I'm going to see my LFS owner tomorrow and see if she can get dubouliyi. I'll let you all know if I get any. :D

Tom