Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Default Boesemani Rainbow Questions


    0 Not allowed!
    I was considering getting a few for my tank but have a few questions based on what I read! Will they eat smaller fish (neon tetras)? Do I have to keep at least five, or can I keep just a pair? What pH does everyone keep them at? I was reading it should be a rather basic pH, but was wondering how tolerant they are.

    I am setting up my new 75 gallon. It's currently cycling and I am very excited to start stocking!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    11,100

    Awards Showcase

    Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    They are schooling fish. They would need 3-5 at a minimum. They may eat small fish. They are pretty tolerant of water conditions as long as the water is clean.

  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! As beautiful as they are, maybe I'll stick with something like a pair of dwarf gouramis to add more color so that I can keep the smaller fish. I'd feel bad keeping only a small number of them, and a large number of them might be out of my price range (I haven't found them for less than $11 a piece!).

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I have three boesemani's currently and planning on getting 3 more. My neons are scared of them, but I've never seen the rainbow go after 1 before.

  5. #5

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rascal22
    Thank you! As beautiful as they are, maybe I'll stick with something like a pair of dwarf gouramis to add more color so that I can keep the smaller fish. I'd feel bad keeping only a small number of them, and a large number of them might be out of my price range (I haven't found them for less than $11 a piece!).

    Find, join, and participate in your local or not so local fish club(s). Join any forums you see that deal with rainbows. Such as (and I know nothing about the quality of it) http://www.rainbowfish.info

    Fish clubs are a wonderful help for enthusiasts of any skill level.
    They usually have meetings that are well worth attending - at least part of the time. They can lead you to people you never would have met. They can lead you to species clubs or auctions. And, they can lead you to bargains. They can also lead to multiple tank syndrome. MTS isn't fatal unless your significant other is really fish intolerant. ;-)

  6. #6

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I bought 20 Boes on Aquabid last summer, they were decent sized fry of about 1/2-3/4" I grew them out until the fall and sexed them. I kept the prettiest 10 and sold the remaining 10 to a LFS for more than I paid for them to start with. Boes are very slow growing, it will take a year to grow them to adulthood from this size. I won the auction for $40 shipped, and sold the remaining 10 of them for $50. It is a cheap way to get Boes, because you will probably not find them for much under $10 each.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

    4x75Gs coming soon

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman
    Find, join, and participate in your local or not so local fish club(s). Join any forums you see that deal with rainbows. Such as (and I know nothing about the quality of it) http://www.rainbowfish.info

    Fish clubs are a wonderful help for enthusiasts of any skill level.
    They usually have meetings that are well worth attending - at least part of the time. They can lead you to people you never would have met. They can lead you to species clubs or auctions. And, they can lead you to bargains. They can also lead to multiple tank syndrome. MTS isn't fatal unless your significant other is really fish intolerant. ;-)
    HAHA! I already have MTS! My fiancι said, "This is your LAST tank." Yeesh! I only have 3 and one's a 5 gal! Maybe it's the two geckos and the fact that I want a cat, and there seems to be no end for my love of fish! Or maybe it was the carrying the 75 tank and stand up a flight of stairs, or driving to the pet stores, driving to random houses found on craigslsit for bargains, endless credit card swipes, or my utter sadness when a fish dies...

    I actually was looking into my local club! I went to their swap meet as an outsider in March, and loved the experience. I also have a friend willing to take me to an out of state club since he attends that one. Thanks for your recommendation!

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    I bought 20 Boes on Aquabid last summer, they were decent sized fry of about 1/2-3/4" I grew them out until the fall and sexed them. I kept the prettiest 10 and sold the remaining 10 to a LFS for more than I paid for them to start with. Boes are very slow growing, it will take a year to grow them to adulthood from this size. I won the auction for $40 shipped, and sold the remaining 10 of them for $50. It is a cheap way to get Boes, because you will probably not find them for much under $10 each.
    I've never tried Aquabid. That sounds awesome! I know what I'm doing today! Thanks!!!

  9. #9

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I like boesemani's and turquoise both. I gave my boes to my son for his tank but after they were gone, I found some babies in my tank that somehow survived so I have them in my tank again. :) About 5 of them now just getting into their colors.

    VERY slow growers. Some bows have been known to eat small neons but I think once the neons reach full grown, they will not be eaten. Little neons are a treat for any fish.

  10. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I had neons with my Boes, and they got eaten :(
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •