· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need some Moving Advice

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Tiger Oscar that I have had for about 2 years. I have to do a household move, actually, 2 in five months. The first will take about 2 days doorstep to doorstep. (not including aquarium teardown and then setup) The second is 3 days door to door (again, the aquarium has to be torn down and re-setup). Is there a safe way to transport my Oscar that long and is it safe for him? I know that it will be stressful on him and I don't want him to die.
    Should I even attempt to move him or should I call the LFS to see if they will take him?
    The longest move that I have attempted with an Oscar is across town, fish tank to fish tank, so I am at a loss here as to what to do.
    I am on the fence since I really like him but don't want to harm him.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You can certainly move him, but you will get differing methods from folks.

How big is the tank?

In any case, you will need to keep him aerated and warm. Do you have power available for the move? If not, are you willing to purchase battery operated air pump and heat packs? Hmmm, on second thought, maybe its not even cold where you are, lol.
    20gal long planted community

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have him a 55 gallon tank with no other fish. This is currently the largest that is do-able while still in the Army due to frequency of moves, regulations in on base housing and people freaking out when you try to rent a house: Oh, by the way, I have a 100 gallon aquarium, is that ok? A 55 gallon is usually pushing it with most people. People just see all that water splashing on their floor and automatically say no. Kind of like big dogs.
    Anyway, I am willing to invest whatever I have to if I attempt to move him. I have thought about a large storage bin with a battery powered air pump; a 10 gallon aquarium with same air pump just for the move (might be too small?); an icechest with the pump. I honestly didn't even think about needing heat packs. Makes sense though. I am moving from Virginia to Alabama, then 5 months later Alabama to Pennsylvania. Moves will be in April and September. Should be hot if anything.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I would look at getting either one of those foam ice chests or a large rubbermaid container trash can that will fit your Oscar, as opposed to an aquarium. Glass can break and is rather rigid, makes for harder sloshes.

You can get a Power inverter that plugs into your car's lighter/power jack that will allow you to use normal electronics in the car. If you have the room to tote the container in the passenger compartment, I'd go that route rather than battery for while you are in the long drive hours. Plus then you just need to unplug from the car... and carry into the hotel and plug in at night. (I'd not suggest leaving it plugged into the car jack with the car off unless you like jumping your vehicle!)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I'm going to try to move him. I have a styrofoam ice-chest that he can fit in comfortably. If that is too small, I have a large plastic ice-chest that I can modify for fish transport. I am also going to get an automobile power inverter with standard outlet plugs to run an air pump with a stone. He will ride either on the passenger side floorboard, or behind the drivers seat on the floor (dependent on cord length) and will be taken inside during the nights of transit.

Hopefully this works. I just can't stand the thought of giving him back to the LFS and having them sell him to someone else.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    As an additional note, if you have a mesh bag you can just put your filter media in that, in the bottom of the ice chest while you move to help keep much of it alive too.

Be sure to plan to take some breaks if you are driving alone.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a canister filter that I can lock off and seperate from the rest when I drain the tank. I believe that my media should be good and live by the time I get the tank re-setup.
    My 1 year old (17 month by the trip) and wife will most likely demand frequent stops. :D

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ask your LFS if they can keep him for a few days. If you know the owner, I bet he'll do it. Give him a couple dollars and your oscar would be better off than in an ice chest.