· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 34 gallon too small for goldfish??

0 Not allowed!
    i really really really want a small pond but cant afford a pond kit (eventually ill get one lol) i was thinking of maybe setting up a small patio pond on my back patio. i found a small 34 gallon one at lowes (i think its 34 gallons) anyways was just wondering if that would be too small for a couple of goldfish or can i use one of those rubbermaid totes (a huge one not sure how many gallons is less then 20 bucks at walmart lol)??

does anyone know any sites that are good for beginners? ive only had fresh water tanks, never had a pond but i would love one :P

thanks for any help or suggestions..
    33 gal tank- 5 red wag platies, 3 black mollies, 1 chinese algae eater, 3 guppies

10 gal tank- empty at the moment

0 Not allowed!
    With your restrictions you would be better off with a tank. Those patio ponds are difficult to filter and still have it look decent, and with a heavy bioload fish like golds it isnt the best choice. You also must consider what you would do with the fish in the winter if your area gets very cold. A tank around 30 gallons would be a lovely home for a single fancy goldfish along with some other cool water species. A shoal of White Clouds would be nice along with the gold.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    34 gallons is really too small to think pond outdoors. Being so small it has no buffer capacity to changes, esp temperature. It can't be in sun because it would quickly overheat, even on hot days, if you reach 90 degrees the tank would quickly do the same.
    Maybe consider digging a hole and lining it with a plastic tarp and some gravel on the bottom. That way you could reach a a couple of hundred gallons relatively cheaply, add a cheap aeration system and fool around with a couple of goldfish. Change half the water each week and you could probably even get by without a filter if you stick with only a few fish.
    That way you could fool around with it, learn by doing over time and any goof you make wouldn't be so expensive. Being a pond keeper takes time to get a feel for it, we all make mistakes starting out but being persistant and learning is par for the course.
    You can always upgrade later on if you find you love the putzing it takes, maybe go bigger with a real liner and check into filters. If you find you don't, keep the soil handy to throw back in the hole.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree. And they are too swallow and become to warm in the summer sun.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for your insights, ive decided against it right now (actually i still want a pond but hubby doesnt lol)

i like your idea @furface , maybe i will try that in the near future, i do have a huge back yard :) now if i could only get my lab to stay out of it hahaha

ps. i live in arizona, so its probably not the best idea for a pond right now, its going to be 99 today alone :( how on earth would i keep the pond cool when its way hot even in the shade?
    33 gal tank- 5 red wag platies, 3 black mollies, 1 chinese algae eater, 3 guppies

10 gal tank- empty at the moment

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen on the internet people using those little pond kits for White Cloud Mountain minnows. They are small, cleaner than goldies, and eat mosquito larvae. Maybe you could try those. Unfortunately, they can only be kept outside in the summer. You wud have to move them inside for the winter.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just go with the rubbermaid idea...very easy...very very easy. just get a decent filter and make covering the outside an art project.

0 Not allowed!
    This poster asked her question last May. I'm sure she has made her decision by now so will close this thread.