· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Crayfish's Food Problem!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I just got a crayfish about 5 days ago and whenever I throw in some crayfish food, my crayfish cant find it.... I have some tiny rocks on the bottom and some of the food slip in between the rocks. But my crayfish cant find it, I know it cant because after about 12 hours of throwing in some food, the food is still in the same position.... WHAT DO I DO!!!!!

Also, how often should I change the water? and at what temperature?

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!
    Last edited by jordanjtse; 08-04-2011 at 03:22 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It may just not be hungry or you are over feeding it. Cause crayfish are bottom feeders to they will search for food if hungry and will find it as long as it is in reach of his mini claws. Try to limit feeding for the time being and try feeding the food close to his favorite hangout spot. Atleast that has been my experience.
    As for water changes stick with the once a week 50%. Try to keep the water temp closet to the existing temp and you will be fine.
    By the way depending on the species some require very large tanks and grow very large.
    55 Gallon Community
    40 Breeder Peacock cichlid Grow Out
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    2.5 gallon cylinder Crayfish tank
    1 gallon empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    50% of the water??? thats a lot..... my fish tank is really really small....

it sort of looks like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=small...w=1280&bih=601

its not the actual fish tank the crayfish is in...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    50% is a typical wc. But people also recommend 30-40%. The link didn't work on my I pod touch but do you know what species it is?
    55 Gallon Community
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    1 gallon empty

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If your crayfish isnt eating, i wouldnt worry too much. I have a cray, i feed him a pea every couple of days or whenever i remember. Ive got him in the tank with guppies and what not, and he never tries to eat them.
    What are you feeding him? have you tried peas?
    they seem to dig them..

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Searching off of google, it looks like a "procambarus clarkii orange". (thats what I typed in. Do i really need to change the water even if it looks perfectly clean? and what happens if i dont? (not forever, like 2 weeks or something)

Peas? Would that work for this species of crayfish?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Searching off of google, it looks like a "procambarus clarkii orange". (thats what I typed in. Do i really need to change the water even if it looks perfectly clean? and what happens if i dont? (not forever, like 2 weeks or something)

Peas? Would that work for this species of crayfish?

Also, why does my crayfish always hide behind or under the big rocks...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Crayfish are generally burrowers, not sure about your species specifically but this is why he likes to hide, theyre mostly scavengers, so will sort through the substrate for decaying plant matter. My cray eats fish food that falls to the bottom, aswell as the occasional pea. They can go long periods without a feed, so dont worry too much. Sorry if this is fill of errors, im on my phone at work . Ha.
    Last edited by isaactifist; 08-05-2011 at 02:47 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know those crays, they need about a 15 gallon long tank. He will burrow to feel safe and if he molted you may not see him for a couple days as he retried his exoskeleton. I would recommend a high quality sinking pellet ment for crustasons. Feed once a day in small proportions.
    55 Gallon Community
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    1 gallon empty

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Peas are a good food for certain crayfish, such as Marbled Crayfish. However, I've never had much luck feeding veggies to other crayfish. I've found sinking algae pellets and shrimp pellets work the best.

He's likely to hide a bit during the day, but might be more active at night.