· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help me pick a catfish

0 Not allowed!
    Basically I have a 180g (6x2x2) that I am going to stock soon. I do not plan on upgrading from this tank anytime within the next 10 years atleast. The 2 cats I like the most are the Red Tail and the Tiger Shovelnose, and since both would outgrow the tank I can't really go with either of them. So I am looking for suggestions for a substitute. The tank is empty at the moment and I can base the other fish choices around the catfish if someone can point me in the direction of some options that would fit well in my tank without outgrowing it.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they have a tiger x redtail which is pretty freakin sweet! I have a bullhead cat which is pretty sweet, most predatory cats get big (the coolest ones at least)

My favorite of them all is the oxydoras niger (ripsaw catfish)

Bullhead:

tiger shovelnose:

oxydoras niger (ripsaw catfish):

Ripsaw's are great but hard to come by, i've been looking and looking and no luck, they're slow growers but do grow large and they don't come cheap.

I'll do some looking around for some cool somewhat available predator cats, have you tried looking on www.aquabid.com ?
    "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think those all get too big unless I got with a black or yellow bullhead

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Synodontis catfish have always been one of my favorite types, or you could do some of the smaller Tanganykians like P. typus if you don't mind them eating fry. I have 6 of those in a 90 for fry control with several pairs of cutteri.
    A group of a smaller Pimelodus species like the pictus are also good for that size tank.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like the pim catfish,syno's,also.plus there are some 10 inch and smaller predatory catfish from the cephalosilurus group(south american ,bumble bee,jello cats)and from the talking catfish group(liosomadoras)or jaguar catfish.There are also bagrids from african such as the ornate bagrid(chrysichthys ornatus)and from asia,the asian bumblebee(pseudomystus siamensis)I hope this gives you some ideas.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the ideas, I am going to check all of them out I am sure something catch my eye

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    4-line cat (pim blochii) maxes out around 9-10" and has been a fav of mine for years.

0 Not allowed!
    I have an Electric Catfish which is awesome and stays relatively small at around 12-18 inches in captivity.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have pictus and they are constantly swimming and great to watch. unlike a lot of cats. they stay small but having a nice group of them would be great in your big tank. they love each other too. chase eachother around playfully all day and night.
    65g planted: 1 black ghost knife, 3 pictus catfish, 1 striped rapheal, 1 golden dojo loach, 1 pleco, and a wack of snails (breeding for puffer food)

40g hex brackish: 2 green spotted puffers.

so many fish and so little room for tanks