· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Aponogeton growth

0 Not allowed!
    Ok,took a chance a few weeks ago,bought some Apono bulbs at work and plopped them in the 50. To my shock-they are going nuts and I don't even turn the lights on in the 50 (it is sort of by the window getting some kind of light).

The past 24 hours,I have one shoot that has grown over 13 inches heading for the top-but I don't see a flower,it's just one leaf so far...

Should I snip it off? I can just about watch it reaching further and further towards the top...mind you it's a hex tank,if I keep letting it go it'll be about 2 feet long.
    50g hex mixed com,30g parrot,5g ACF,16g bow planted. More to come!

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see any reason why you should snip it off.

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    It is probably the same kind I have. It only sends up floating leaves. It is an interesting plant and it doesn't block the light. My fish love to hang out under it.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

0 Not allowed!
    Apongetons do that; grow like mad and stay beautiful for months, then the leaves start growing smaller and the bulb goes into a rest period for weeks or months, depending on the species. It's an adaptation to waters that evaporate during the dry season in the climes the plants are originally from.

Many of the Apono bulbs are hybrids nowadays, but if you can get a photo of the leaf or leaves, I can probably tell you what species you have.

Dave

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually it stopped about 7 inches or so from the top of the water yesterday so I just let it be. I have another bulb sending up shoots now,I'm surprised they grew at all. I thought I would have a black thumb with aquatic plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Many of the Apono bulbs are hybrids nowadays, but if you can get a photo of the leaf or leaves, I can probably tell you what species you have.

Dave
    Ok,I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. Thanks!

6. Default pics of aponogeton

0 Not allowed!

The white cloud is insisting on presenting the aponogeton to you and asks you ignore the ugly plastic plants in the backround.