· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Florida Longnose Gar

0 Not allowed!
    So, someone on my local classifieds was giving away a florida longnose gar, and a 33 gallon tank, filter, heater ect. for free. Of course me being the person i am, contacted them and said i would have it. And i'm second on the list, so if the first guy doesn't show then i'll get it.

My question is, it's 14 inches long right now, and it's four years old. He says they grow to the size of the tank, and it wont grow any more then it is now, but my concern is that if i pick this tank up, this Gar will grow way to large, so if i do get this, should i donate the fish to PetLand so they can hopefully give it a home that would be better for it then this 33 gallon?

I really like this fish, it's neat.

0 Not allowed!
    Longnose gar will grow to about 24"-36" in captivity. Them only growing to their tank size is a myth...as it is with all other fish. They are a great fish, but eventually do require a quite large tank. I had one in a 180 that was over 25" long and I am currently growing out a Longnose in a 75 that is around 13" now. He will eventually go in a 375. Hope this helps.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, i think if i get the tank, i will keep him for a while to get the experience of having a predatory fish. And tell the pet store to ask any regulars to see if they would like it. So that i can experience it, and the fish isn't couped up in a prison. I hate it when people do that.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    That gar looks way skinny... best of luck whatever you decide.
    Thar she blows!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am unsure of where you live, but If you do decide to keep him then give him away after a while, try Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's, etc. Most of those stores have the gigantic fish tank. There he will be fat and happy, hehe.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    That gar looks way skinny... best of luck whatever you decide.
    That's normal for a Longnose gar. They have a much thinner profile than other gars.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone, hopefully that person gets back to me. I'd love to try keeping a fish like this. Plus it's free, you can't beat that! Tank filter and everything!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Darn, guy gave it to someone else. Maybe better luck next time. Still very interested in having a predatory fish though. Seems like a good experience.