· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

Default Fish have individual personalities

3 Not allowed!
    http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...ampaign=buffer

A friend sent this link to me. I know my cichlids have their own personalities, but I wasn't sure if fish like tetras and livebearers did. Guess they do, to a certain extent.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

4 Not allowed!
    My discus certainly do, but I have not noticed any differences between my tetras. Maybe just because its harder for them to stand out individually.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   Enjoy the season! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Interesting study. I enjoyed reading about it.

I personally think they do to an extent, but I'm no scientist and I've most certainly set up no documented, methodical study.

From observation in my own little tanks though, I have seen subtle indicators.

More inquisitive in one of a type (this observed about some Cherry Barbs). Also two of them will always be the very first to find food. Always! It is funny. Oh and only one is a shrimplett hunter, that I've seen (and this is something I've watched for over time quite carefully)

Then in a different group/type, a couple (I think three, actually) that are more of a 'first out-and-about' than the other shoal-mates, who are followers.

We had a Platy that was mostly grumpy. She preferred to be alone. Well, alone with her food that is -- not really a hider or anything. So you might say that doesn't count, being piggy about food and all... but she was different (from other Platys) about it all, nonetheless. She would strut her stuff, parading around, but was not happy to have any (male or female) join in her parade. I guess she did not like to share the stage.

It could easily be that my amateur observations are nothing more than fanciful delusions from my imagination, but I am of the belief that the individual fish do have their own personalities. (as with other critters, for that matter)
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I've been wanting you get you a Gift for a while!  Thanks for all the music :)  That's for you not spilling your beer! - angelcraze2   Congrats - AmazonJoe   Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...ampaign=buffer

A friend sent this link to me. I know my cichlids have their own personalities, but I wasn't sure if fish like tetras and livebearers did. Guess they do, to a certain extent.
    They may differ to some extent but all my red eye tetras act the same. All my rosy barbs act the same and all my zebras act the same, well one was a real pain to all. Unroll he went after the GBRs. No place to put him so euthanized the most human way I could think of....
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your sharing your observations guys and gals. I personally don't notice a lot of personality with my non-cichlid fish, but the cichlids are so full of personality you can't ignore. It's nice to hear observations from aquarists only keeping non-cichlid fish. I'm happy you shared that Rivers.
    @Hockey nut, I guess you had one barb or zebra who was a terror. I guess that's a personality afterall ;) To bad he was so aggressive you had to euthanize. It's funny, I never ever noticed an overly aggressive non-cichlid fish.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat