· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Default Boof's Aquascape v5.0

0 Not allowed!
    So I finished tearing down and cleaning the tank last night. Flourite came in earlier today. All I need to get now is a bag of dirt on my way home and I'll be able to start scaping out the tank and getting the plants in.

Question for @angelcraze2. Do you use this particular mix for your dirted tanks?

e28f898d-165f-493d-83ce-6a5e7de19d72_1.acf64bdd9b5bca43b79880c82919504b.jpeg

I will be laying down the potting mix, then putting in foundation stones so I can heavily contour the substrate, and the cap it all off with Flourite Black.

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes! That's the one André :) I'll be following your dirted tank project :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Sank you, my dear!

I'm torn on the scape, though. I don't know whether to do raised hills on the sides with a valley running between them, or do one hill either centered or off-centered....

I was leaning towards the valley idea, with the eleocharis covering the hills and the hydrocotyle growing down in the valley, but I'm just not sure if that will look right. My other idea with the valley is to only plant the eleocharis in the valley and the lower parts of the hills, with rocks jutting out the hills and accentuated with the hydrocotle growing in the crevices created by the rocks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    What are you using for foundation stones? Big flat rocks? I still cap with gravel, sometimes PFS as well, but I don't find it very messy myself. Of course, if you're moving rooting plants often, it may be. Just a warning, I do find there's enough bark added to the potting soil mix. I don't mind the bark, but they will try to float up if they make it through the substrate. I don't mind the look of bark pieces on my substrate anyway, not that there's a ton, but they are there. I love using soil as a planted tank substrate. Are you mineralizing your soil first?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I vote for the second scape idea :) I like the two hills and valley idea, I think a sparsely planted valley with rocks would look stellar! I'm excited for you, can't wait to see how it looks!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    What are you using for foundation stones? Big flat rocks? I still cap with gravel, sometimes PFS as well, but I don't find it very messy myself. Of course, if you're moving rooting plants often, it may be. Just a warning, I do find there's enough bark added to the potting soil mix. I don't mind the bark, but they will try to float up if they make it through the substrate. I don't mind the look of bark pieces on my substrate anyway, not that there's a ton, but they are there. I love using soil as a planted tank substrate. Are you mineralizing your soil first?
    I'm planning on using crushed basalt mixed with the potting mix, similar to what's done in this video:

I don't have fancy stones like he uses for his hardscape, but I will be using larger pieces of the volcanic basalt in a similar fashion.

I'm also going to sift the potting mix beforehand to remove the larger chunks of bark/organics and use the finer stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    ...Are you mineralizing your soil first?
    I have Osmocote that I will be sprinkling in with the soil. Others on FB suggested putting down strips of red clay under the soil, but I'm not planning on swinging by the hobby store. I figure the Flourite will be enough since it is made of clay. Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I've had good results with red fluorite, but I didn't mix it, should have, only added it later on top. My water was dusty for a day or two, and my TDS increased from 106 to 135. The TDS is back down now, but I attribute the increase to the fluorite I added. I mixed in clay ONCE. It was a nightmare. If you accidentally hit the clay strips with your tweezers, it sticks to the metal and the tweezers end up ripping it up and clouding your water badly. I don't think the clay was all the way at the bottom, but I personally didn't like working with clay pieces.

You are aware of the 'plant boom' right? How the plants grow like they're on steroids than the growth slows down after 6 months to a year? I really don't feel Osmotote tabs are necessary in the start, but I've added them to my soil after about two years or so when my growth really starts to slow down. I'm not saying not to add them, I just don't think you'll need it, the initial plant growth using soil as a substrate is insane with enough light. The co2 the soil releases helps combat algae completely, when you notice algae starting up, the plant growth is diminished as well, probably a lack of co2 AND ferts since they may be used up.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-28-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well, the local stores don't carry the organic Miracle-Gro (weird, right??), so I'm sending my wife off to grab this one:

840049100268.jpg

I'll follow your advice and skip the extra clay and the Osmocote. I'll mix in some of the Flourite down with both the potting mix and the crushed rock to get some clay down deeper into the substrate.

The plant boom is what I'm hoping for. Will be dry-starting this tank for as long as I can until fungus rears its awful head. I don't mind the plant growth slowing down over time. It sounds like my eleocharis will have had plenty of time to establish a thick carpet by the time the soil starts to become exhausted. Supplementing with some ferts at that point to encourage healthy plants and keep the algae at bay shouldn't be too much of a problem. The tank will more than likely have a ton of shrimp and some otos to help keep things clean :)

Thanks for brainstorming this with me, Kat! I'm super excited to get this baby planted tonight!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Of course! I love this!

Awesome ;) Sounds perfect, your plan, I'm so interested in following your project. I have no doubts you will have a plant boom, especially with a dry start....this should be exciting! Now I want to redo my breeder tanks lol!!

And the fun part about using a dirt substrate is you can create hills easily, I'm personally not worried about anaerobic bacteria, although I 'poke' my soilbeds of more than 4". I've never had an issue and my dirted tanks keep their shape well when I scape like you plan to do.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-28-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    -Kat