· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

Default POTM requests, update, questions

2 Not allowed!
    Hey every one,

I notice some slight issue with the POTM.

So what I am wanting to know is,

1. Whats every ones thoughts on how its working?
    2. Suggestions?
    3. Problems?

Feel free to be open with ideas and thoughts.

mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Working fine in my opinion it's getting better every time with entries when your such a tight nit community of course people are going to recognize tanks and or fish....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Its frustrating that it isnt held in the proper setion. But I cant fix that issue.
    In saying that though in a way the photo section seems to work quite well.

I know the time zone gets a little hard at times. For example to finish say 10.00 am friday for me would be 5.00pm thrusday. So its a little out in that I wait a day. So it may look odd for other memebers who are in closer time zones to me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    Mac, you're doing an excellent job with the contest. I never understood why the pictures had to be anonymous. Other forums and groups don't bother with anonymity. As far as the way the contest is presented and run, in my opinion, there are no issues on your side of the contest.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    I agree. I knew who entered what, for the most part, simply because I follow along with a lot of the threads/journals here, but that didn't affect my vote. If I cared who I voted for based on who that person was, regardless of the photo they submitted, I would have voted for myself haha

I could frankly care less who the photos belong to. It's Picture of the Month, not Member of the Month. I don't EVER want someone to vote for my photos simply because they are mine. There's no glory in a win that isn't earned fairly. My comment in the Winners thread was to drum up excitement and friendly competitiveness between us...not to somehow spoil the surprise or hint to others which photo will be mine in order to get more votes for myself.

Following the point argued in the other thread, I'd be committing some sort of faux pas and taking the fun out of the contest if I were to do something like enter a photo of my BGK simply because people would know it belonged to me. I felt kind of crappy when I was told that I negated the anonymity of the contest and made it less fun (paraphrasing).

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Hey every one,

I notice some slight issue with the POTM.

So what I am wanting to know is,

1. Whats every ones thoughts on how its working?
    2. Suggestions?
    3. Problems?

Feel free to be open with ideas and thoughts.

mac
    Mac, it is great that you took the time and effort to get POTM up and going again...for that you are to be commended.

As far as the mechanics of how it works, all is fine from what I can tell. I just wish there would be more participants, like it used to always be.

IMO, some members may be hesitant to submit pics for a variety of reasons, but I think the most significant is that some members just have better equipment/photography skills than others. I've seen magazine-quality pics in some of the member's threads here. Those of us without those particular assets (me included) may feel that there's no reason to submit what they may feel is a sub-par pic, knowing that those members with such great skills and cameras will probably win, anyway.

That notion does negate the fun of the contest to begin with, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I agree. I knew who entered what, for the most part, simply because I follow along with a lot of the threads/journals here, but that didn't affect my vote. If I cared who I voted for based on who that person was, regardless of the photo they submitted, I would have voted for myself haha

I could frankly care less who the photos belong to. It's Picture of the Month, not Member of the Month. I don't EVER want someone to vote for my photos simply because they are mine. There's no glory in a win that isn't earned fairly. My comment in the Winners thread was to drum up excitement and friendly competitiveness between us...not to somehow spoil the surprise or hint to others which photo will be mine in order to get more votes for myself.

Following the point argued in the other thread, I'd be committing some sort of faux pas and taking the fun out of the contest if I were to do something like enter a photo of my BGK simply because people would know it belonged to me. I felt kind of crappy when I was told that I negated the anonymity of the contest and made it less fun (paraphrasing).
    Good points and thoughts.

Perhaps the "anonymity" of the members whose pics didn't matter as much as what I interpreted or what was alluded to (for me anyway) in the rules.

I do not belong to any other fish keeping forum. The Aquatic Community is all I believe I need (and have time for). How others handle contests and competitions may be different, more or less relaxed, "rules-wise"...but rules should never get in the way of enjoyment or fun, IMO.

I did not mean to imply that you (Andre) were making the contest less fun...if that's how it came across to you, I apologize, it was not my intent.

I sincerely would like the POTM comp to catch on again, in a big way...there's other comps we used to run as well, that were just as fun as POTM...now that mac has the basics of running POTM understood, the other comps could be revived, as well.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

2 Not allowed!
    Well said Matt. I agree it would be great if the comps caught on again. I was not here when they were running but I would love to see it again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    ^I second that^
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I am happy with the results and methods, despite only getting 1 vote for my photo. Lol!
    Next time I'm going to try submitting a better photo, maybe Ill get 2 votes!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    I am happy with the results and methods, despite only getting 1 vote for my photo. Lol!
    Next time I'm going to try submitting a better photo, maybe Ill get 2 votes!
    That's how it was for me the last contest I entered. I only got one vote and I was actually surprised I got more this time. Hahaha

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP