· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

Default Hyphessobrycon sp. Pantanal

0 Not allowed!
    I had a video up (youtube) of what I thought were my red phantom tetras. I've tried to breed these super red fish but to no avail in a tiny breeding tank, so they were returned to the 120g months ago. I haven't been able to find any fish close to these 3 that I have left in my tank.

Somebody left a comment on my channel, stating that they are not Red phantoms (Hyphessobrycon eques/serpea), but Fire phantoms (Hyphessobrycon sp. Pantanal).

For one, I didn't think the red phantoms I have were at all serpea tetras. Second, he said the fire tetras are smaller than black phantoms which confused me big time.

I had one black phantom with a major tumor, could he be confusing the black phantom with my red phantoms? He also commented saying she is full of eggs, which makes me think he might have been looking at my mangled female black phantom.

Any thoughts? I've been trying to find fish like my 'red phantoms'. All other red phantoms I see are grayish/red with red fins.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!

This is the video
    Tx all:)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Update I couldn't find much info online, but I'm not a search hack pro lol.

I did found this: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...Identification

Looking at different sites, I beleive the fire tetra resembles a female black phantom, with brighter red fins and the male Fire tetra looks the same as the female, but with longer fins, particularly dorsal.

Anyhow, I think my 3 remaining phantoms are still red phantoms (Hyphessobrycon sweglesi)

If anyone has more info, pls let me know!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I don't have an answer but just wanted to say that they are a beautiful shade of red. Mine are not that red.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    But for Hyphessobrycon sp. Pantanal, here's a vid claiming to have them. They still have the Hyphessobrycon sweglesi with the H. Pantanal, so it's confusing. But if they are what I'm thinking, they are a cool tetra as well.

It looks like some of those black phantom female-looking fish were very bright red, with a red nose, and reddish hue throughout the whole body, but had long dorsal fins. I thought they were all female black phantoms, now I see it could be a newer tetra species to keep. Possibly a hybrid.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-19-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    wait-good-point_o_1144675.jpg

I'm colorblind......

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    I don't have an answer but just wanted to say that they are a beautiful shade of red. Mine are not that red.
    Awww thank you Sil! It was Lee who first steered my attention to how special they are. I think they are just really red Red Phantom tetras (Hyphessobrycon sweglesi). No idea why? What I mean is I've had these red phantoms longer than I've been active here at the AC.

....the three I have left still are very old tetras, but I only remember them being drab when I brought them home from the LFS. I'm pretty sure these guys ended up getting ich in the QT tank They healed through ich with no issues and the group if six original specimens (should have been more!!!!!!) All lived a good 4/5 years in my 120g. The 3 I have left are more 5 maybe almost 6 years old now. I anyways remembered them to be that share.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-19-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @BluewaterBoof Awwww...I wish I could explain it to you. But the thanks for reading and giving it a thought :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I was rushed, I have to fix these typos!

Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    ........ I always remembered them to be that shade of red.
    -Kat

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday my friend. - Taurus   Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Interesting find

Definitely different, here's another video of them

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep