· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   

Default The Tale of Woe - Javafern edition

1 Not allowed!
    So I cannot for the life of me keep my java plants alive. My cycle is 0/0/10-20, ph is usually around 8 and my lights are on 2pm - 11pm and I cut off the dead leaves when they come but it seems like all I'm getting is dead plants all the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or does anybody know any nice fake silk plants I can put in to save my bettas hiding places.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm strange strange and strange.

Is yours attached to anything?? Like drift wood rock or decor of some sort?? IME if its just in substrate it won't grow at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Hmmmm strange strange and strange.

Is yours attached to anything?? Like drift wood rock or decor of some sort?? IME if its just in substrate it won't grow at all.
    That...might be my problem ._. How do I attach it to something?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Fishing line, cotton thread, even super glue (the gel type)

If you bury the rhizome, it will kill java fern...the rhizome needs to be ABOVE the substrate

The rhizome is the horizontal green stem in this pic, that the vertical stems are growing out of...it's covered in roots

rhizome.jpg
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I've typically never buried the rhizomes cause I looked them up before hand, but I'll try attaching them to decorations and see what happens for a while :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - steeler58   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Those goldfish are lucky they've met you. - Slaphppy7   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoelFae View Post
    I've typically never buried the rhizomes cause I looked them up before hand, but I'll try attaching them to decorations and see what happens for a while :)
    Do you mind if I ask how you kept them anchored and upright? If they are not buried in the substrate or tied down, I would think they would just float.
    DM's 20g high - journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I could bury the roots and leave the rhizomes out and they stayed :X

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    My java fern plants never grew much until I moved them to spots that get a lot of water flow moving around them. Once I did that, they grew a lot quicker than before. But keep in mind java fern is a very slow-growing plant to begin with. Even in a high-tech tank that gets lots of fertilizer and CO2 injection, my ferns still take a loooooong time compared to my other plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

4 Not allowed!
    Normally, java ferns are low light, low ferts or no ferts, and easy for beginners to grow. Mine grow like crazy. If you aren't burying the rhizome and only the roots are in the substrate, they should do fine. You can tie them, of course, using invisible fishing line, and they should grow out so the tied area is completely hidden. Not sure why yours aren't growing. Do you have adequate current in your tank? Perhaps if you would try just a tiny amount of Seachem's Flourish to get them jump started, they might take off from there.

Here's a method I use for securing rhizome plants without burying the rhizome:

Some fake plants have weighted bases with holes in them through which the stems of the fake plants are attached. I have saved these bases over the years, and when I want to plant a live rhizome plant, I gently tease its roots through the open holes in the bases so the roots come out through the bottom. Then I place the base onto the substrate. The rhizome rests on top of the base and never touches the substrate. The plants root themselves and eventually provide their own anchors. Since these bases are weighted, they will stay put by themselves until the roots grow into the substrate and further secure them.

Another possibility for lack of growth is if your tank is overcrowded with live plants and there aren't enough nutrients to go around. If that's the case, try thinning out your aquatic garden a bit to leave more room for growth. Plants in terrestrial gardens need adequate space to grow and mature, and I would imagine the same holds true for aquatic plants. Otherwise, they'll be stunted.

When you first unpack your java ferns after bringing them home, are you careful to not break off too many roots? That can kill a plant, too.

I'm not sure the reasons in your case, but maybe some of these suggestions will help.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    While I still haven’t yet I am going to give some of these a try, but I wanted to ask would the plants grow in a tank without a fish?

I have a 5.5 with an LED light lid that’s sitting around, could I put the plants in there to try and get them jump started by themselves since they’re deaths are causing issues in the tank with my betta?

The only thing is that I don’t have a filter or anything for the 5.5, would the plants be fine without or no?