· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

Default Tornado watch nz

1 Not allowed!
    Just heard on the radio we have had a fairly decent tornado hit our west coast. From what it sounds like a few deaths and a bit of damage done.

Most of the country has been issued with storm warning, rain warning, tornado warning.
    Welcome spring to nz.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I've been wanting you get you a Gift for a while!  Thanks for all the music :)  That's for you not spilling your beer! - angelcraze2   Congrats - AmazonJoe   Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    About 20 years ago, we had a tornado, skip through our town. Went right over our house and touched down a couple blocks, south east of us.
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    When I lived in Texas and was flying home to Idaho many years ago I was stuck at the Oklahoma City Airport for about 30 hours due to tornado warnings. I never saw one that day or when I lived in Texas but I will never ever forget how angry the sky looked that day. The color of the clouds was just eerie, I sat at watched the roiling for hours that day.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Tornadoes are rare here in north Idaho, but they do happen.

I recall shortly after we moved here and hadn't yet unpacked everything, we were standing inside of our metal pole shop when this 90-mph wind suddenly whipped up. It appeared to be a straight-line wind, but as we watched from our doorway, we saw it snap the trunk of a tall pine tree in two like it was a pencil. Five minutes later, it had completely died down, and dissipated. Some folks farther down the road said they had seen a funnel. We didn't see any rotation or vortex.

Shortly thereafter, I was outside with some workmen. The sky looked menacing. We looked up and saw the dark clouds swirling. The workmen said we were going to have one of two things happen: A large hail storm, or a tornado. And they didn't stick around to find out which. They hopped into their truck and high-tailed out of here.

All I could do was go inside of our shop, as we hadn't had our house built, yet, and that's where we were living. As it turned out, we did get one heck of a hail storm, but no tornado.

A waitress in town who had lived in the Midwest, in the middle of tornado alley, looked outside the window of the cafe she was working in, and saw some very suspicious but familiar (to her) signs. She went outside and watched some more, then came back in and announced that a twister was on its way. Everyone laughed at her, because we don't get twisters in north Idaho. Sure enough, an EF0 or EF1 tore through the nearby valley and ripped a roof off of a house.

In 1972, in Vancouver, Washington, an EF3 tore through and killed six people. That was the largest tornado that area had experienced since they began keeping records. Vancouver has had small ones over the years, that did nothing more than overturn a few lightweight boats in the marina. But this one was a freakish monster. It killed a woman who had lived just a couple of doors down West 43rd Street from my aunt's house.

When I lived on the coast of southern California, water spouts would sometimes come ashore off the ocean and overturn boats in the harbor.

Mac, what was the EF number of the tornado you guys had? If it killed people, it had to be pretty violent. Probably an EF3 or above?
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    About 20 years ago, we had a tornado, skip through our town. Went right over our house and touched down a couple blocks, south east of us.
    That's what you call lucky.

My grandmother told me a story of when she was a teenager living up north. Was staying with some relatives in a lakeside home. She was taking a nap in her bedroom and was woken up by the shouts of her cousins. She ran into the living area and saw a water spout coming across the lake right toward their house. Veered off a little bit and passed between their home and their neighbor's home, but as it passed by it ripped a tree out of their yard and sent it through the roof, crashing into the room where she had been napping just a minute before.

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    That's what you call lucky.

My grandmother told me a story of when she was a teenager living up north. Was staying with some relatives in a lakeside home. She was taking a nap in her bedroom and was woken up by the shouts of her cousins. She ran into the living area and saw a water spout coming across the lake right toward their house. Veered off a little bit and passed between their home and their neighbor's home, but as it passed by it ripped a tree out of their yard and sent it through the roof, crashing into the room where she had been napping just a minute before.
    Very, very lucky, indeed! And maybe a little bit more than just luck.

I've sometimes contemplated what I would do if a tornado threatened us. We have a walk-in closet downstairs in our daylight basement. The walls of the basement are solid concrete with rock and mortar on the outside. There are no windows in the walk-in closet, however, one of its walls is an exterior wall. I think, if we are threatened by a tornado, I would duck into that closet, crawl underneath our hanging clothes, and pad myself with thick blankets -- then hope for the best.

Of course, I hope I/we shall never have to do that. But it's good to have some kind of plan, if it's needed.

If an EF4 or 5 were to rip through, all bets would be off. The only safe bunker, then, would be an underground bunker. (A daylight basement is above ground).
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Last time i was in a cyclone in austrialia everything was going well till the roof lifted off. Only found out the roof was off once we emerged from the wine cellar.

Tornado wise i remember being about 8 years old walking in the bush close to home and a huge wind came up. So started to run home. Would uave been home hardly 10 min and the creaking crack sound in the trees was nearly deafening. And then the wind started to die down back to rain and a slight breeze.

Next day went for a walk and found the path the tornado had made. Followed it and the old hermit lady ripped to bits house gone and utterly obliterated. Was a shame she was a nice lady who let me wander all over her land when i was young.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Mac, I hope you and your fish stay safe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I've been wanting you get you a Gift for a while!  Thanks for all the music :)  That's for you not spilling your beer! - angelcraze2   Congrats - AmazonJoe   Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    My uncle's owned four 3 story apartment buildings with unattached garages. The tornado that jumped our house, picked one roof up and set it right back in place. It ripped one roof off and threw it into one set of garages about 100 ft away.
    A man and a woman where laying in bed on the 3rd floor woke up to the building shaking, one second roof was there the next it was gone.
    Another lady had taken her baby out of her crib and put her in bed with her. When they inspected the apartment the top of the chimney had smashed the baby's crib.
    It didn't touch the other two.
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Jeez, Mac, that's some insane stuff right there!

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Very, very lucky, indeed! And maybe a little bit more than just luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    Another lady had taken her baby out of her crib and put her in bed with her. When they inspected the apartment the top of the chimney had smashed the baby's crib.
    It didn't touch the other two.
    I try to stay away from getting all mumbo jumbo superstitious, especially when so many awful things happen in the world, but stuff like this, along with things that have happened in my own life, makes me wonder if there isn't truly something that intervenes on behalf of some of us.

I've had three very distinct moments in my life that should have killed me...quickly and brutally. It's very difficult for me to accept that I was spared in each of those situations just by random chance.

Take care, Mac, and no more bush adventures until this blows over.

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP