· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Cool Considering Geophagus for Show Aquarium

1 Not allowed!
    As I discussed with Mac a little bit ago on the AC facebook page, I have taken down my 29 gallon planted aquarium. This was a hard decision but necessary one as my wife and I began rearranging our bedroom for a more open space. One complaint I have always had about my tanks is that they were “projects” (meaning building, buying, and rearranging things as I went). I began wanting just one very professional looking, well thought of, and sturdy aquarium that I could observe and enjoy.
    I am confident that I would like to do a South American Cichlid biotope. I am not looking to do a true biotope (rocks and wood from Brazil and other SA countries) but am planning on sand with spider wood and black water. I have been thinking about and considering this project for a long time. I have already purchased a HOB overflow and a DIY sump. I am planning to purchase a 60-gallon rimless tank from a friend. As said before, I am tired of having “alright” tanks that I threw together over time. I am really desiring a nice and clean looking display aquarium.
    The reason I am posting this is because I am trying to consider stock. I believe I would like to go a geophagus route, specifically Geophagus Red Head Tapajo. I have never kept geophagus before. What are some things to watch out for, specific care requirements, experiences, aggression? Ultimately, I would also like to do a somewhat larger school of rummy nose as well. I can get them captive bred or wild-caught. My neo-naturalist blood makes me want the wild-caught but are they then harder to keep? Water is going to be RO.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

1 Not allowed!
    After re-reading this I saw how this could be interpreted as a little haughty. What I was really trying to communicate was I am tired of having on par or used equipment that breaks down or looks bad (example: the fact that my 29 gallon was being help up by a 90s tv stand lol). I am just saying that I would like something nice looking that will last me multiple years and I won't have to constantly fidget with it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

2 Not allowed!
    Geophagus Red Head Tapajo are easy to keep. At least captive breed fish. Never kept wild caught. The most important thing to think about would be that they prefer a fine gravel/sand that they can sift through. It also important to remember that they (unlike most other cichlids) prefer to be kept in a group. I would recommend 6-8 or more.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    60g tank is pretty tight and small for a harem of red heads ( 1 male to 3 females). If you get a pair from the group, the rest of the group will be stuck squabbling over each other in only 2 feet of space.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...c.php?t=200218

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    I humbly disagree. Remember that they are mouth broaders and doesn't form pairs in the same way as other SA cichlids. They do not keep a territory for spawning. With that said. I think it might be hard to keep ( 1 male to 3 females). Never tried. I think it is better to keep a larger group. It is possible that keeping just a few creates aggression that you do not see in a larger group. Similar to what you see in African mouth broaders. I would suggest 3 males to 5 females or something like that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I humbly disagree. Remember that they are mouth broaders and doesn't form pairs in the same way as other SA cichlids. They do not keep a territory for spawning. With that said. I think it might be hard to keep ( 1 male to 3 females). Never tried. I think it is better to keep a larger group. It is possible that keeping just a few creates aggression that you do not see in a larger group. Similar to what you see in African mouth broaders. I would suggest 3 males to 5 females or something like that.

a 4 foot tank is still too small for that many (8) sized fish for life. The males have a potential to hit 7".
    Last edited by Rocksor; 08-22-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    That is a good point. A 100 gallon would be better

(I was thinking it was bigger than it is. I am thinking in L and converted it wrong. Sorry)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well thanks Rocksor and William. What would be another good consideration? I would like for a cichlid to be my main attractive fish. Are there any other geophagus that would fit that bill or should I start looking for dwarf cichlid species like rams?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Geophagus parnaibae or Gymnogeophagus sp. 'Norte' usually stay small. They ares likely your best bets for a Geophagus species. Jeff Rapps have Geophagus parnaibae from time to time

Other alternatives include Guianacara, gymnogeophagus meridionalis or Biotodoma

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just throwing this out there as a question. If I wanted to go the Discus route, would that be a possibility, how many, and how would that pecking order look like? I was looking through our wholesaler list today and they had a nice Wild Green and some sort of spotted type caught from the Rio Nanay. They looked beautiful!