· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Pond Snail Infestation

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I noticed my intake to my filter was getting clogged up. I cleaned the intake screen and all seemed well. Last night I noticed one of my dwarf gourami was not swimming correctly. This morning he went to fish heaven. So I decided to do my monthly canister filter cleaning. When I opened up the top I discovered more pond snails than I could possibly count. I had to do a thorough cleaning to get rid of the snails. The good bacteria got flushed out with the wash. I put everything together, added chemicals to the aquarium, and re-installed the filter.
    I'm confident there are more snails around. I have found a few occasionally, but not many. How do I get rid of all the pond snails without killing my mystery snails? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Tks,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Assassin snails.

You also need some sort of prefilter on your canister intake, I like these and use them on all of my filters

http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I agree with slap on the assassins manual removal when you see a group otherwise assassin snails.

Plus assassins are a pretty good looking snail, don't go into the filter and don't over run a tank because they breed very slowly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Do assassins go after adult apple snails?
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Do assassins go after adult apple snails?
    My first Assassin attacked a golfball size mystery snail immediately upon introduction to the tank... So I will say yes they will, but my experience seems to be extremely uncommon as most others have no issue with the two together.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your input. Seems better not to risk it.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I have assassins with nerite snails and they don't bother them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept assassins with mystery snails, no problem whatsoever.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Appreciate the info Slaphppy7. I will be looking at getting both the assassin snails and the filter guard. I do have a dumb question. On the website for the SS filter guard they are listed in mm. I am assuming they are referring to the diameter of the intake tub of the aquarium filter. Or is the size referring to the overall diameter of the filter guard. Please let me know. I will order ASAP. Again, thanks for the support.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Not a dumb question at all.

The size refers to the intake tube dimensions...which canister filter do you have?

If you scroll down the page for the prefilters, you will see a listing of many of the filters they make them for.