· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your new angels - Slaphppy7   

Default Carbon filter question

0 Not allowed!
    I have a whisper filter (two) on my tank, I want to grow some plants but I thought I read where you don't want the carbon in your filters if you add Flourish or any plant food for that matter. My filters come with the carbon, does it become inactive in time? I take the inside out occasionally and rinse it in my aquarium water when I do a water change so I don't really change them to often, do I have to find carbonless filters or are these okay to use?
    Karen

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    carbon lasts around a few weeks. Rinsing the carbon does not make it last longer since the chemicals are stuck to it. If it has been about a month already, I wouldn't worry about it stripping the chemicals out of hte water.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    If in doubt just throw the carbon out of the filter and replace it with some additional media

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thank you. In the future I will look for carbonless. Do I have to use additional media or is it good enough alone?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldham View Post
    Okay, thank you. In the future I will look for carbonless. Do I have to use additional media or is it good enough alone?
    You can leave it alone if you don't have ammonia or nitrite above 0ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I would add additional media...just my personal preference, but I like to use as much media that will fit my filters.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So if I were going to add media I just put it in the filter where the carbon things go now? Like a foam one, or is there something better.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   Enjoy the season! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Do you have ceramic media in here yet?

I'm not familiar with this type of filter and do not know how customizable the box might be.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 08-10-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Do you have ceramic media in here yet?
    No, I only have two HOB filters and a power head.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   Enjoy the season! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I mean inside the HOB filter. Ceramic media provides a nice growing area for beneficial bacteria. There are several brands, sold at a variety of places. An example of what I'm referring to:
    https://www.bigalspets.com/fluval-bi...All%20Products
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow