· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowing tanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

Default Bowing tanks

0 Not allowed!
    A recent Aqueon thread question sparked my curiousity about my own old used tanks.

I don't think anyone makes this size anymore, I have three 33g tanks, 3ft × 12" x 18" tall. There is no center brace on any of the tanks and they are all bowed a bit along the length. I don't care about a top fitting tightly, as these are breeder tanks in my fish room, and I just use picture frames and glass as a canopy, just rested on top of the perimeter frame.

As I mentioned, these are old/used tanks and my new 40g which is 20" tall uses a center brace. Do I have to worry at all about the bowing? They've been like that and filed up in my fishroom for 3 years. I've had one filled up for 7 years. I actually found one of them on the curb with a working t8 fixture. Another one was my brother's tank, and the third I bought for 15$. My new 40g tall was $90. There are no 1$ per gallon sales where I live.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I don't worry about the bowing with my 40B at all, I've read somewhere before that it is normal (to a degree), but darned if I can find that link....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    My 3ft tank bows in the middle, looks to be about 1/8 of an inch and has always done that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    That thread lead me to attempt to detect any bowing in my tank, as well. May I please ask how (either of) you are determining the bow? I can not see one, visually. Thank you.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I have a glass versa-top on mine which is a perfect fit in the corners but has a 1/8 gap from trim to glass edge in the center.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    @RiversGirl My DIY picture frames are not square with the length pane of glass on my tank. You can tell, it's obvious. You can use a balance as well to determine a bow.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I have a glass versa-top on mine which is a perfect fit in the corners but has a 1/8 gap from trim to glass edge in the center.
    Same way I see mine...Rivers, look and see if the gap between your lid and trim is greater at the center of the tank than at the ends...also, view your tank from one end, eye-level at the trim, and look down the length of the tank

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Agreed. A slight degree of bowing is perfectly fine.

My center brace broke on a 55g. That was a four foot tank and it bowed out BIG TIME. I'm talking a couple of inches. Glass held up for the whole day while I was at work...thank God. That would have been a nightmare if it had broken. Although it didn't bust the glass and might have held together for a long period of time, I broke down the tank and gave it away as a terrarium.

Given that my bigger 55g didn't crack, I think you'll be fine.

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    There are no 1$ per gallon sales where I live.
    dfefda53e5d7f4f16bd5016a7424d86b9416c5ab44cabf7a8205ee3b7314cc76.jpg

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I contacted Aqueon about the "bowing" debate, I'll let everyone know what I hear back from them.

If you do a search on the internet, most/all of the results will be other forums where you'll read they should not bow at all....lol