· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Talking Anyone use garlic?

0 Not allowed!
    I have started using Garlic Guard for SW fish. A friend who owns some nice Discus says he garlics everything that he gives them. Anyone else use garlic for Freshwater on a regular basis? Any garlic believers out there?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm a garlic believer lol. I don't add it regularly, except through some fish pellets that already contain it, like NLS. It certainly makes medicating easier as well. I just soaked the pellets in medicine and garlic juice. I know it discourages parasites and there are other benefits I'm sure, I don't see the harm in using it unless it was possible for a parasite to build a resistace (causing any treatment issues). Someone here was talking about adding garlic to the tank. I have not looked to far into it yet.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-06-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    i used dehydrated garlic, but you can use garlic powder in gel mixes. I also use GG to make gel food

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I use garlic (the Garlic Extreme by Kent) on a somewhat regular basis. Around quarterly, roughly -- so not so often, perhaps you wouldn't consider that a 'regular basis' and are asking for more frequent users to chime in.

Anyhow, I see it as a preventative sort of thing.
    In addition, whenever I've had a fish in a hospital tank, I've used this same product to help entice feeding.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts and results, as well as everyone else's that might use garlic for various reasons.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Garlic has to be used in sufficient quantity and on a regular basis. A couple of studies below

https://phys.org/news/2013-09-garlic...parasites.html

http://www.marineparasites.com/pdf/p...quaculture.pdf

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Garlic has to be used in sufficient quantity and on a regular basis. A couple of studies below

https://phys.org/news/2013-09-garlic...parasites.html

http://www.marineparasites.com/pdf/p...quaculture.pdf
    Well the conversation we were having was because I recently had a firefish get ich. My friend told me that instead of thinking on the lines of "hospital when sick" we should be constantly boosting their metabolism on a weekly basis to avoid disease and parasites from the beginning. This seems like a pretty balanced approach in my opinion but wanted to get other opinions. I have been feeding NLS pellet soaked in garlic guard and Vita-Chem to my SW and soaking all freshwater food in Garlic Guard this past week.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    never soak pellets with liquids unless you have a fish that own't eat or trying to put something into that pellet as a medication. Regularly soaking pellets will remove any nutritional value such as vitamin c out of the pellet. Soak dehydrated foods is a better option. Or put the liquids in a gel based food. I consider garlic liquid a flavor enhancer, and not necessarily a preventative like solid garlic.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh ok. Thanks for the info Rocksor!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    When soaking pellets, I was advised to just barely cover the food, and let food absorb all liquid. I am medicating a fish in my case, but would letting it absorb fully, and just softening the pellet destroy the Vitamin C?

One member here was using garlic straight in the tank and said his fish eat the garlic sometimes. Is that ok? Pure garlic?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Pure garlic is fine if the fish will eat it.

Pellets are like sponges, so adding a liquid will push out any vitamin/nutrition out of the pellet. This is not problem for short term due to pellet training or inducing a fish to eat medicated food.