· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IALs raise TDS?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

Default IALs raise TDS?

0 Not allowed!
    I got a bunch of Indian Almond Leaves and added a few to a bunch of my tanks. I'm glad I didn't add too many at first at once.

I'm noticing the TDS is up. I added 5 leaves to my 120g, 2 leaves to my 90g and one to my 33gs.

My val rubra in one of my 33g all wilted at once. The TDS of my 120g is 130 instead of its regular 105ppm. My 33gs are around 105-120, up from 90-100ppm. The 90g is staying the same, the TDS was always a bit higher than my other tanks due to the deep dirt beds (I think) at 140ppm.

I leave them in the tank to decompose, but they've only been in the tanks for about 2 weeks.

I could remove the old leaves and replace them every two weeks, but that seems fast to me, and the leaves are still fairly in tact. Seems like a waste of them and they already raised the TDS.

I haven't been testing pH regularily, but I think it's down from 7.2-7.4 to 7.0-7.2. What's the better trade off for breeding SA cichlids, the benefits of IALs and higher TDS, or no benefits and low TDS water?

I always thought they'd add to TDS, it's just more than I thought. I still have to test kh and gh to help understand more, but I definitely feel I'm missing something.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    The leaves are dissolving and breaking up in the tank so 25ppm is not a lot. What's your KH out of the tap?

The lowering of PH by that much is not a concern, since planted tanks with go through a PH swing daily.

Humic substances reduces stress on fish. It also prevents the growth of certain pathogenic protozoa.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 08-01-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I think it's worth the benefits and you will probably just need to use RO for water changes and what not.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    I think it's worth the benefits and you will probably just need to use RO for water changes and what not.
    In her case, I would not use RO. She's already seeing a decrease in PH with so little IAL, and her TDS is pretty low as it is.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Mmmm ok. I just recently been seeing folks use pure RO in there setups at least in the blackwater community still figuring how that works for them lol

I've been using pure RO now in my ram tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Re-filling with RO or using 100 % pure RO water in the tank? No tap water, chemicals, no minerals, just IAL?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yep just RO no tap with various leaves and other botanicals. They swear by this on tanninaquatics site so I'm experimenting on a small scale first

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like there is no cycling to the tank then.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    What keeps the pH stable Joe?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well like I said still figuring this out I'll ask those questions though. And @Rocksor you mean nitrogen cycling? Relying on a super low pH so ammonia isn't toxic?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast