· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Question Central & South American Cichlid Aggression

0 Not allowed!
    I recently saw a video with Rusty Wessel and his conservation fish house. In the fish house was tons of central and south american cichlids. I've seen claims on other forums by pretty knowledgeable and trustworthy members saying that overstocking in order to alleviate aggression does NOT apply to central and south american cichlids. Rusty (an extremely prominent member of the ACA), claims that he sometimes over stocks in order to keep aggression down. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by waylon101; 07-30-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    This will be interesting to see discussed and answered.

Ime with apistogramma the more you have females eventually the weakest will be smashed. Same with the males.

While with the tanganyika ones the more you had the less issues you had.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This will be interesting to see discussed and answered.

Ime with apistogramma the more you have females eventually the weakest will be smashed. Same with the males.

While with the tanganyika ones the more you had the less issues you had.
    He did make a comment on that. I probably should have mentioned that often times he has one dominant male, a harem of females and then a subdominant male.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    I've found that some cichlids have seriously unique personality and some can be agressive no matter what.

However with soooooo many different cichlids species some are more solitary while others are more gregarious so it really varies in my opinion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    He did make a comment on that. I probably should have mentioned that often times he has one dominant male, a harem of females and then a subdominant male.

This is entirely different than keeping an all male tank. Unlike African cichlids who have evolved in crowded conditions year round, both Central and South American cichlids do not handle stress in crowded conditions as easily all year round. Hence, why you can end up with an empty tank with one fish.

You have to understand that Rusty has enough experience under his belt when to separate before anything tragic happens. He understands new world cichlids. He has also observed enough fish in the wild to see how things work.

A news article on overcrowding,

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/sc...ggressive.html
    Last edited by Rocksor; 07-31-2017 at 02:24 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    This is entirely different than keeping an all male tank. Unlike African cichlids who have evolved in crowded conditions year round, both Central and South American cichlids do not handle stress in crowded conditions as easily all year round. Hence, why you can end up with an empty tank with one fish.

You have to understand that Rusty has enough experience under his belt when to separate before anything tragic happens. He understands new world cichlids. He has also observed enough fish in the wild to see how things work.

A news article on overcrowding,

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/sc...ggressive.html
    Very True Rocksor! Thanks for the info!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

2 Not allowed!
    It depends on the species. Some of the smaller species can be overstocked to reduce tension. The large species can not be overstocked. If in doubt you should not try it. The number of species where it works is a lot lower than where it doesnt work. Most species does not live to densely in the wild.
    Last edited by William; 07-31-2017 at 03:05 AM.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.