· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help! Canister filter leaking

0 Not allowed!
    My JBJ Reaction 4 EFU_35 Canister filter has just started constantly leaking! At first i thought it was the o-ring seal between the head and canister but know i suspect its the actual head after watching this video of a similar canister . ! when I remove the head, water comes out of it and i think it is over flowing and leaking out over the seal. But simply draining the water does not stop the leak. May a internal leak be my issue? Not having the best week with my aquarium so any advice will help!
    Last edited by NIN8185; 03-06-2014 at 04:30 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    tried cleaning the impeller to see if it was clogged and causing the leak, but just made things worse. Leaving the filter off for now so it doesn't drain my tank over night... Will have to take it in to the shop to see what they can do.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    after a night with out the filter running I adjusted the main seal again and now it is not leaking.. for now... Makes me a bit nervous of when and how much it will leak. going to get a new 0 ring for the head but still think it may be something else. Also the quick release has been leaking a bit when pulled up and out of the filter head. Thinking it might be worth to use a bunch of new parts on it.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I have a filter similar to the one in the video. There are two o-rings inside the quick release. Did you check those?
    The fact that the leak stopped after you pulled it apart then put it back together leads me to believe that one of the o-rings might be damaged, but not entirely broken. Might be worth it just replace them all.

Sorry you're having this problem, I'm sure it's frustrating.

-S

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I replaced the o-ring seal and replaced the quick release as a whole and the issue has stopped. Figured id be best just to replace all that I could vs. doing it one by one.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear that you got it sorted.

-S

1 Not allowed!
    What never hurts with leaking externals is a copious amount of vaseline on every single o-ring.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    What never hurts with leaking externals is a copious amount of vaseline on every single o-ring.
    I finally remembered to lubricate the ring on the Eheim the last time I had it apart...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes they told me to rub vaseline on the new hood seal o-ring. put a good amount on my fingers and rubbed it in the o-ring just enough to cover all surfaces of the o-ring. Should this be done after every filter cleaning?

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I'm going to re-lube the seal every time the filter is apart.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal