· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My new Tiger Barb Tank

0 Not allowed!
    WP_000802.jpg

Just want to share my new Tiger Barb Tank. It's about 3 weeks old now. I used filter media and some water from my old tank to accelerate the cycle.
    I modified the filter section into a 4-stage trickle/overflow type and also changed the fluorescent lights to LED.

Atman AR-F980 100x47x50 (Approx. 62 gallons)
    8 - Tiger Barbs
    7 - Green Tiger Barbs
    10 - Neon Tetra
    10 - Cardinal Tetra
    1 - Green Neon Tetra (someone got lost)
    2 - Assasin snails

Plus some assorted plants (I haven't gotten the time to identify them yet.)

Next week I plan to transfer my 6 kuhli loaches and 2 Black Ruby Barb from my old tank.

Any comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking tank. If you are only using some seasoned filter media in your filter(s) then I would wait 3 weeks or so before adding more fish to allow your new media to seed properly. Stocking wise a 62G is a nice sized tank!! If it were me I would rehome your two Ruby barbs. My stocking (keeping with it being a barb tank) would be;

8 tigers
    8 greens
    8 Gold/Albino tigers

1 small - medium cichlid, perhaps a firemouth, blue or yellow acara, t-bar cichlid

8 Khulis
    Upto 3 dwarf pleco species - Clown pleco, L262, Green tiger (forget the L-number the now)

As greens, regular and albino barbs are only colour morphs of the same species they will swim together, I have had 1st hand experience with this. When they get a bit bigger they will probably get too boisterous for your neons and cardinals and perhaps out compete them for food. So keep an eye on that.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestions. Still a work in progress.

Actually, I was already thinking of not putting the Black Ruby barbs. In my old tank they were the boss despite their small numbers. All my other barbs are wary of them. But I really like how they look especially when they turn reddish.

The gold/albino barbs I was already considering. I just wanted my filter to age a little bit more. I will follow your suggestion to wait another 3 weeks.

Cichlid - I did look into them before cause I really wanted to add a couple of fish with standout colors. But somehow, the parameters doesn't seem to match.
    PH seems to be on the higher side. I will look again and check the names you mentioned.

Pleco - not a fan of them. Had it before. They grow too fast for my liking and even the dwarf species will be bigger than my barbs.

Instead of plecos, I was actually thinking about adding a couple of either Siamese algae eaters or otocinclus.

Feeding- You're right about that. What I'm doing right now is use a feeding tray on one side of the tank and feed my barbs there. Once they are busy, I start feeding the tetras on the other side. Seems to work at the moment. Anyway, with all the plants in the tank, I don't think the tetras will die of hunger.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank!
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along...
    IBC member

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
    Nice tank!
    Thanks.

Caught one sleeping last night.
    TB Sleeping.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vader72 View Post
    WP_000802.jpg

Just want to share my new Tiger Barb Tank. It's about 3 weeks old now. I used filter media and some water from my old tank to accelerate the cycle.
    I only wanted to comment on what I put into bold - for the future - be aware that water does not have bacteria in it - your media is primarily what contains the bacteria. When setting up a tank, it's best to start with fresh dechlorinated water.

Great looking tank btw!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Made a few updates.
    Added DIY skimmer.
    Added more plants.
    Did a little re-scaping to minimize the effects of disturbances on the gravel made by my pesky Tiger Barbs.
    Added my 4 Kuhli loaches (haven't caught the other 2 yet). This is to ensure excess food that falls on the gravel are taken care of.

TB-03NOV13.jpg

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    very nice tank. make sure you check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for a few weeks to make sure you don't have a mini cycle resulting from adding the new fish.
    Great job on the scaping.

I am curious. What's the skimmer for? Generally you see protein skimmers in salt water aquariums
    Last edited by fishmommie; 11-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    A nice looking tank. Do your barbs not pick on the tetra?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    A nice looking tank. Do your barbs not pick on the tetra?
    I was thinking the same thing?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep