· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Longfin albino BN are males more aggro than females?

0 Not allowed!
    I had a male regular BN and he was mean to the other catfish so I took him back and grew out my albino longfin (which was bullied by him in there too) which is extremely peaceful. What I'm asking is should I keep the other albinos to try for a male or would he be as mean as the regular BN was. I really wanted those crazy things on their face but I love my female pleco it even lets me touch it's scales when I put squash etc in.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

0 Not allowed!
    The male of all species of plecostomus is territorial. You need space to have two or more males, and even then a single fish may decide to be overly-aggressive.

I do not know about male/female aggression, so I will leave that for someone who does.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Each pleco needs his/her own "spot" like cave etc. Not sure size of aquarium but with 2 plecos, a 55 is prob smallest and that's with a lot of dw and hiding spots...

My long-fin albino is max size (one of first fish I got and had him 2 years now...true ol' G) and recently added a golden nugget. Even though they are in 150 gallon, I noticed when they are on the same main piece of wood in the tank, the older larger BN pleco scares the other off. Now I see the GN pleco behind the filter (away from the dw) during the day - he got the hint!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If I read your signature...you're keeping 3 plecos in 30 gallons! I think that is much more suited for 1 pleco - especially if all male!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a regular and a longfin to start then took my regular BN back when he was acting really aggro to my other catfish. Then I got 2 more babies to grow out while I found out if my bigger one was a male or female and since I'm not seeing any growths on the facial area and what I'm thinking is a she is over 3 inches I need to decide what to do.

I'm thinking I'll just keep the female and count myself lucky; she's very non aggressive compared to others she lets my cory cats swim all around/on her and is very tame even with me.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    I had a regular and a longfin to start then took my regular BN back when he was acting really aggro to my other catfish. Then I got 2 more babies to grow out while I found out if my bigger one was a male or female and since I'm not seeing any growths on the facial area and what I'm thinking is a she is over 3 inches I need to decide what to do.

I'm thinking I'll just keep the female and count myself lucky; she's very non aggressive compared to others she lets my cory cats swim all around/on her and is very tame even with me.
    Plecos and corys are OK together so long as there is room. More for males but any fish in the pleco's territory may get messed with...especially other plecos/bottom dwellers. I think if you make a cave for the pleco, she will be fine with the other fish. While I think you got a lot of fish in a 29 gallon, you have been doing this way longer than me so I'm sure you do enough water changes and other maintenance to keep fish healthy!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it wasn't for the excellent filtration and x2 weekly water changes my bioload would be too much but I think size wise my fish have amble space once I only have 1 pleco.

I just need to figure out how to get my 2 babies out and take them back to my LFS last time I used a squash tied to a rock in the net at the bottom and waited until night and checked it with a flashlight until I could yank it up n get the pleco but I have to manage to do this in a reasonable amount of time with 2 fish and no way can I catch em without this method; even my driftwood is stuck in the tank it's so heavily rooted onto by plants.

I could always harpoon them and tried friend pleco :D

Oh and I have so much driftwood for caves they hardly even get used because my fish are very comfortable in the tank; I've had normal and BN plecos b4 that wouldn't come out of caves in the day much but my albion longfin learned the que for feeding time when my filters go off she comes out looking for some food and usually snags a wafer meant for my corys and is happy but she also seems to eat anything on the bottom from krill and worms to algae tabs. She's definitely one of my fav. fish I've ever had.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 09-22-2013 at 05:38 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking I might have a male recently I noticed the start of growths all over my big plecos face....did I get it wrong? I know females have some but there are a lot of growths for a 3.5inch inch or so pleco still small growths but growths. What do you all think? Oh and I managed to get 1 of the babies out the other is proving difficult with the massive amount of plants.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    I'm thinking I might have a male recently I noticed the start of growths all over my big plecos face....did I get it wrong? I know females have some but there are a lot of growths for a 3.5inch inch or so pleco still small growths but growths. What do you all think? Oh and I managed to get 1 of the babies out the other is proving difficult with the massive amount of plants.
    On male BNs the "whiskers" grow around the lips and up the front of the face.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I need help with my albino bushy nose plecos they just had a bunch of fry and im not sure how to care for them properly I didn't intend on breeding them but I don't want them to stop breeding because I try to over care for them and im afraid I might kill the fry too can any one help me understand what I did right that made them breed so they stay happy