· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Got myself a second tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I've been resisting buying a second tank for my study/office/man cave. I succumb at the weekend. Bought myself an AquaNano 40.

It's a 40cm cube giving aprox 15 gal/55L. So not a nano as the name might suggest but still compact. I really like the design. It has a segmented down, up, down, up, sump style filter that consists of the whole back of the tank, about 1/8th the volume divided into 3 chambers with flow channels to force the water down through the sponge to the bottom of the tank, up a channel and down through the ceramic media, then up into the pickup well where the pump and heater are.

I added some mature media, a mature sponge to the top of the filter, 4ppm ammonia and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Set temp to 30C and 24 hours later ammonia 0, nitrite 5, topped up to 2ppm ammonia. Cycle shouldn't take long with the mature media.

Ordered some plants, rocks, substrate and wood, should get here today / tomorrow. Depending on the how the nitrites do I could be stocking it next week!

Stocking ideas include:

Cory + Celestial Pearl Danios + Shrimp
    or
    Endlers
    or
    Guppies

I already have a livebearer free community tank, so I'm tempted to make this a live bearer tank. Another community tank with different species is tempting though.

0 Not allowed!
    May I ask what the baking soda is for?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    It is always a good idea to cycle with at least some seeded filter media, it sure can speed up the process

I am also interested what the baking soda if for as well ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I like your first choice, Cory's + Celestial Pearl Danios + Shrimp.

I third the baking soda question. Never heard of it being added before, please do tell.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ooooooooooooooops !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by eltylT; 08-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to know myself what the baking soda is for . Please tell us .And congrats own your second tank. Keep us informed , I thought MTS only made us want or get Bigger tanks!!!!
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. Baking soda is a carbonates source: Sodium Bicarbonate.

The organisms all consume carbonates as they multiply. I live in a soft water area. 2dKH. Without it, the cycle may slow and the pH may crash.

It raises the pH to round about 8.2 and fixes it there until the carbonates are consumed.

Obviously I will not be adding it after the fish go in, unless I choose hard water fish, which is unlikely.

This morning stats were: Ammonia: 0 - Nitrite: 0.25

I accidentally topped it up to 4ppm instead of 2, but not to worry, looks like it will be fully cycled in a mater of days anyway :)

Aqua-scaping on Friday morning. Baltic rock and wood soaking in weak bleach solution for an hour and then until Friday morning in chlorinated water. Plants unceremoniously dumped into the tank in their pots, except the moss that is sitting on top in it's tub slightly under the light.
    Last edited by paulca; 08-07-2013 at 06:46 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Photos:
    P1070095.JPG

Hard to take a photo of the filter, I'll get a better one when I empty the tank to aquascape (err plant it).
    You can just see the pick up well with heater and powerhead and the ceramic rings bay, beyond that in the distance is another similar sized chamber filled with a huge sponge, you could use it as a travel pillow!
    P1070096.JPG

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    C00L setup! That sh0uld be a sweet little tank when up t0 par.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eltylT View Post
    I thought MTS only made us want or get Bigger tanks!!!!
    My MTS had me going from a 75 gal community to dual 29 gals! I guess MTS can evolve in many ways............
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"