· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default setting up Labs/Rusty

0 Not allowed!
    ok i bought a 45 gallon used and clean it up it came with a heater,filter,air pump but i`ll probably be only using the 150W heater n planning to buy a canister Ehiem 2217.Anyways this is going to take me a few months to save up all the money but i just need help making sure im doing everything right. im going to use Dry coral for them and 50lb of play sand. the only problem is i see people saying play sand isn`t good? can i get some opinions on it?

Stock wise was planning:
    1 Male/3female Yellow Labs
    1 Male/3Female Rusty

And for equipment was planning
    Eheim 2217
    is 150W enough heater?
    Also do i need n Water Pump for currents?

and was thinking of maybe a 3rd type to go with these 2 was recommended krib but not sure yet

Anyways! info,Pictures,Idea's ALL WELCOME! lol
    Also Pros/Cons of Play Sand for substrate

Tank looks like this:

(note this was before i cleaned it with CLR to remove all that calcium build up from owner before hand)
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-6Cardinal Tetra-8,Panda Cory-1(whisker issues),emerald cory-5"
    "(1) Angelfish,,1 Zebra Nerite"
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Moss,Java Ferns,Dwarf Hair Grass
    10 Gallon with a betta,3oto

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good! I like the corner units. They may not be the easiest to manage, but they look nice.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah i was thinking of takeing a bunch of Fuji Dry rock or Reef Saver rock with some slate n make it slope up onto the back from the front.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-6Cardinal Tetra-8,Panda Cory-1(whisker issues),emerald cory-5"
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Moss,Java Ferns,Dwarf Hair Grass

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I think that would look nice! But I can't be of too much help otherwise...never really 'did' cichlids...

Post pics when the tank is cycling...and then when you add fish!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    N0w that y0u have cleaned it with CLR, y0u sh0uld use white vinegar and water t0 clean it 0ut again t0 make sure all 0f the CLR is rinsed 0ut and then finalize with a few straight water rinses. As f0r heaters I w0uld say that y0u w0uld be fine with 150w f0r 45 gallons- a general rule 0f thumb w0uld be 3-5 watts per gallon. However, I personally w0uld rather multiple heaters t0 help as a fail safe- if 0ne fails in the 0ff p0siti0n the 0ther will pick up the slack.
    I als0 am inexperienced with african cichlids, s0 I can't really 0ffer insight there. L00ks like it has p0tential t0 be a neat setup when d0ne. I might suggest a few l0wer level caves near the fr0nt t0 help with hiding places if aggressions pick up a bit, if all 0f y0ur r0ck w0rk is g0ing t0 be piled in the rear corner it all0ws f0r line 0f sight acr0ss the majority 0f the tank in many places.
    Nice sc0re y0u g0t there!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 200w in my 45 and its more than enough, but I do live in Florida and it never gets all that cold. If you don't let your house get cold a 150 will probably be fine. I use texas holey rock in mine, but dried coral should work just as well, just make sure it's not too sharp and the edges aren't too rough. Mbuna really squeeze into the rocks, I had one tear himself up bad on some lace rock.

Also, im not sure about just labs and rusty's. Rusty's get allot bigger then labs and are much more aggressive. Labs actually come in three different colors, I would get either 2 different colors of labs or get something else with the rusty's, red zebras would be good.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Play sand is either pretty dirty or really dirty. I would go with pool filter sand, its really cheep (in my area its 10 bucks for 50 lbs) and easy to clean.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well i was recommended yellow labs + rusty as a good combo XD n well i really like the yellow labs lol hmm so maybe ill look into a few colors or any other recommendations to go with yellow labs are welcome but i know for sure i want those.

well as for sand i just want to make sure its ok to use cause i seen some saying that it cuts up there fishes gills? will look into pool filter sand thought was going to stick it in a bucket n wash it ether way.

as for cleaning the tank lol i wanted to make sure it was clean too XD i Clr then rinised it out about 100x xD should i still used vinger in it? 0.o when i cleaned it i acutaly used a 25%Clr n 75%Water mix to delude it.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 07-14-2013 at 12:19 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't used it my self but lots of people on here use it and recommend it.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you really want the labs you could get some Yellow Tail Acei, they have a temperament more compatible with labs and look kinda like rusty's.

As for sand, I use sand in all my tanks but I prefer to spend a little more to get something I know will work well. I use cichlid aragonite sand in my mbuna tank. Yes it's a little more but the fish love it, it's safe, and it helps keep the water ph stable.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19