· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default The Underwater Project

0 Not allowed!
    I started my 10 Gal Tank about two months ago now. I was Looking for something positive to do in between classes and work. Mistakenly, I believed that, as most freshwater fish are so very inexpensive, this would be a good way to use my time without spending a lot of money. I have spent A LOT of money. more than I planned anyway. I really enjoy it though. I watch my fish swim for hours and have to remind myself to take time to do other things. It's very stress reducing I think..... until one of my fish got ich (lol). Daily water changes, medication, wow. I am getting nervous like I have a child with chicken pox whom I don't want to infect the other children. Julius rubs his ich all over my golden dojo who is scaleless and very prone to these things. I keep treating the tank and treating the tank hoping it will go away before any of the other children get scabies we will see what happens. I am on day 6 of the herbal remedy. I am keeping a .3 salinity. I am doing 30% water change daily for 4 more days on a mission to kill the ich.

Happy Fish Happy Life

2. Default The Underwater Project

0 Not allowed!
    My 10 Gallon tank of four has grown quickly. I now house a Fancy Goldfish, A Golden Dojo Loach, A Chinese Algae Eater, Two Halfmoon Female Beta, Three Panda Cory, and a small Colony of Ghost Shrimp. I have planted Anacharis and and a red/green plant (forgot the name). They are all pretty happy. I had some issues with the flake food feedings and water quality so I have added a cube of frozen brine shrimp daily and Live Bloodworms a few times a week. My tank seems better balanced. I have tried cooked vegetables. Everybody says you can give your fish cooked vegetables. Mine won't seem to eat it unless they are starving. I heard my Chinese Algae eater will grow to about six inches and I know my Golden Dojo will be an easy ten. I am making plans to upgrade to a 39 or 55 gallon tank. My 10 gal will be used as a breeder and nursery.

Happy Fish Happy Life

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    those gold fish, depending on the actual species can grow to over a foot long, the cae will grow big and aggressive and stop eating algae. i advise loosing him (i hate those things!) and the cories need at least 6 to be really happy. the bettas would be fine if alone in the 10g.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Not to mention that bettas prefer a completely different temperature than goldfish.

I've recently discovered a site called AquaAdvisor. While it's not fool-proof, it's a handy quick-guide for tank stocking. Here's what it has to say about your current tank.

And here's the same stocking in a standard 55 gallon tank. It still claims to be overstocked, with several other major warnings.
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 06-30-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, i know. Betas like it 80+ and the goldfish like it cooler. I keep my tank at about 76-78 Room temp for my house is 77. It's a relatively happy medium for them for now. The dojo prefers colder temps as well, though he will be ok in warmer water 80+temps will significantly shorten his life span. I plan to set up a tropical tank in the near future. I hate to split these guys all up but the ones that really pal around together are the goldfish and the dojo. They will be in the colder temp setup. The betas could care less about the other inhabitants of the tank. They do their own thing.

My Panda cory's are quite happy in a group of three thanks. My 10 gal isn't big enough to add more.

As for tank size I will be upgrading to a larger tank soon. In the mean time most of my fish are still pups. They have quite spacious living area for now.

Thanks for all of your feedback. Much Love.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did read about cae being large bullying bad tempered who may even take to suckling the side of other fish at their slime coat. What's up with that... Really???? I plan to keep him with my dojo loach and my goldfish in a larger cooler tank. I am hoping that as long as there are bigger fish or fish as big as in the tank he will stay mellow. I also have algae tablets if the day should come when the algae in the tank isn't enough and he starts going after fish slime. JEEZ LMFAO!!!

Fish B So Crazy

Happy Fish Happy Life

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey that calculator is handy. It allows you to select the size of your tank and the type of filter you use. I have a marineland penguin 200 for up to a fifty gallon tank. It does say I will need a bigger tank before my fish grow up If I want reasonable living quarters. This I knew.. It also recommends 3 dojo, which I am aware of but cannot add responsibly and reasonably until I get a larger tank. I will keep this calculator bookmarked for help stocking my tanks in the future. Thanks for the link :]

8. Default The Underwater Project

0 Not allowed!
    My fish seem to be doing Great now that the Herbal Remedy for Ich is slowly coming out of the tank in water changes. I cut out the medication Monday. Most signs of Ich in Julius are gone. I am finishing ich cleanup with salt and continuing my water change regimen. Thank's to Longshot with Cliff's post on Cycling I am ahead of the game on getting my Cycle back.

I have been testing natural lighting with my tank and so far I like it. I took the hood off completely. My tank is under a 9 foot window. It gets lots of natural indirect sunlight with a couple rays that lay right through the tank at certain hours of the day. I wondered why have a hood with artificial light that blocks the natural light. I am sure my plants will love it. They need the extra care for a while after all of this salt water treatment and water changes i have been going through.

anyone with any experience on natural sunlit aquarium's have any input?

Soak up the Sun.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Too much natural sunlight also promotes algae growth. Last time I had my tank set up, it was in a place where it would sometimes get maybe an hour or two of direct sunlight a day. After a couple months, I started to struggle with algae.

Some people do really well with natural light, however. You'll just have to see if you have the right mix of plants to prevent algae growth.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Three threads now merged. It is only necessary to make one aquarium journal for one tank.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1