· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

Default First drilled tank questions

0 Not allowed!
    I purchased a 135 gallon reef ready tank with two glass overflow boxes. When I removed the black acrylic overflow covers I saw that I have two holes (one larger one smaller) in each overflow boxes. I was planning on using the overflow box on the left for the intake (going to go with a Durso standpipe) and the overflow box on the right for the return. So, what are the other holes for?

Next question - am I supposed to silicone the overflow covers to the glass? If I don't hold them up against the glass there is a gap at the top between the glass and the cover.

0 Not allowed!
    Typically the larger hole is for a drain line and the smaller one is for a return line. That is a very common approach with marine set-ups. With a few reducing fittings, you can use it just as you have planned due to the lower flow rates you would have in a frsh water set-up. Just plug the holes you don't need with a threaded PVC bulkhead flange and a PVC plug.

Can you post another pic or two showing the gap you are taking about ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Typically the larger hole is for a drain line and the smaller one is for a return line. That is a very common approach with marine set-ups. With a few reducing fittings, you can use it just as you have planned due to the lower flow rates you would have in a frsh water set-up. Just plug the holes you don't need with a threaded PVC bulkhead flange and a PVC plug.

Thanks Cliff, I appreciate the quick response!!

Can you post another pic or two showing the gap you are taking about ?
    This picture shows about a 1/2" gap between the cover and the glass if I don't press the cover up against the glass.

This one shows the gap at the top and on the back, starts flush at the bottom and then gaps,

It does the same thing on the other glass box but with a smaller (maybe 1/4") gap.

0 Not allowed!
    OK, now I understand. The cover plates for the overflow boxs will not sit flat against the overflow flow box. Try siliconing it in place
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    OK, now I understand. The cover plates for the overflow boxs will not sit flat against the overflow flow box. Try siliconing it in place
    Thanks Cliff, I love an easy fix!

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot to mention, it can be a little difficult to get silicone to stick to acrylic. You could give the acrylic a light sanding with fine grit sandpaper to help it stick better to the silicone.