· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Exclamation swim bladder diesase or not?

0 Not allowed!
    so 3 days ago i noticed 2 of my neon's not swimming very well they had trouble going to the bottom. so i researched about it. by the time i made my plan and knew what i was gonna do they were fine! racing each other to the bottom and the top. so i thought i was just imaging it. but the next day the same problem. then it was gone... etc.
    they are on a dried diet (won't eat frozen food for some reason)
    the water quality is excellent though (0,0,0)
    should i feed them some pea's or not feed them for a few days? should i just leave it?
    whats up with my neon's ?
    thanks.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've read that if a fish goes from the bottom to the top of the tank to fast for food (as a example) it can cause what your describing. I would try putting your hand in the tank and then releasing the food and see if that helps. How do you prepare the frozen food? If you don't already try thawing it in some tank water then feeding might perk their interest.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    If its temporary it might be caused by the dry foods you are giving them. Certain dry foods tend to swell when wet. Assuming a fish eats a lot of food to fill out its stomach and then the food swells some more, then it could somehow compromise swim bladder function. Once the food is digested then the fish is "fine" again until the next meal and so on.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    If its temporary it might be caused by the dry foods you are giving them. Certain dry foods tend to swell when wet. Assuming a fish eats a lot of food to fill out its stomach and then the food swells some more, then it could somehow compromise swim bladder function. Once the food is digested then the fish is "fine" again until the next meal and so on.
    i think this is what is happening. what should i feed them than? out of all these foods which ones best.
    nutrafin max micro granules, nutrafin max tropical fish flakes, tetrafin goldfish flakes.
    or what food would you recommend.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    For me what worked was to simply release my flaked or pelleted food below the waterline that way the fish are not taking in air when gulping for food at the surface ( I believe Limming mentioned the same strategy above)...can't hurt to try.
    Last edited by JudiJetson; 04-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know how much you feed, but as a general suggestion, try feeding less. Nobody overfeeds on purpose but most aquarists do. Fish can make do with very little food. If they don't completely fill themselves up then there still is some "room" in case food swells. Or else try feeding them less per meal but more frequently.

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmmm....
    i will defiantly try both.
    but who exactly do i release below the water line.
    I've tried that but the flakes stick to my hand.
    thanks guys

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think Madagascariensis answer is more possible then mine and Judi's. To do it I've just held the flake in my hand like I was going feed normally but to it under the surface.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    yea, i tried that but the flakes stick to my hand when wet. is there another way?

0 Not allowed!
    Rub your fingers together. Has the additional advantage of breaking down large flakes for small mouths.