· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My 20g Stocking Discussion

0 Not allowed!
    I'm finally nearing the place in my aquatics adventure where I can begin to consider what fish I'd like to stock in my 20g tank (emphasis on begin to consider). My set up will be a standard 20g (24"x12"x16"), an Aquaclear 50 for filtration, moderately planted (willing to go more or less on this depending on fish needs), a couple pieces of driftwood (if that matters with what I stock), and most likely a sand substrate.

After a few trips to a couple different LFS, my eyes have started to gravitate toward one or two species. Here is what I've been thinking:

4-6 Corydoras (I like the dwarf and panda species, but would love to hear some other suggestions)
    6-10 Pristella Tetra (I just like the look of these...again, I'm open to other suggestions to research)
    1 Dwarf/Honey Gourami

I'm not sure how accurate aqadvisor.com is on stocking levels, but it seems like I may have room for something else, depending on what it is? yes or no?

Other things I like the look of, but not sure if they'd be compatible or if I'd have room for them:

Cherry Barbs
    Rio Flame Tetra/Bleeding Heart Tetra
    Rasboras
    Snails
    Shrimp

A couple of specific questions: would snails/shrimp be compatible with the corys? Or would the be competing for space and resources? Would a planted tank work okay with all of, or most of, the above listed species? Is sand a doable substrate for the above listed species?

Any thoughts, insights from experience, etc... that can be offered would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    First 29g Tank: In process

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    30 views and no opinions yet? Maybe it's just lurkers checking things out like I did for so long? Maybe my stocking hopes are just doomed to fail. I'm tough, I can take it!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchfoot55 View Post
    I'm finally nearing the place in my aquatics adventure where I can begin to consider what fish I'd like to stock in my 20g tank (emphasis on begin to consider). My set up will be a standard 20g (24"x12"x16"), an Aquaclear 50 for filtration, moderately planted (willing to go more or less on this depending on fish needs), a couple pieces of driftwood (if that matters with what I stock), and most likely a sand substrate.

After a few trips to a couple different LFS, my eyes have started to gravitate toward one or two species. Here is what I've been thinking:

4-6 Corydoras (I like the dwarf and panda species, but would love to hear some other suggestions)
    You don't have that much floor space. I'd say go for 6-8 of the dwarf species assuming there's sand or a well rounded gravel in there.

6-10 Pristella Tetra (I just like the look of these...again, I'm open to other suggestions to research)
    Start with 6, it's a very easy species, should be fine.
    1 Dwarf/Honey Gourami
    Honey is an option, I'd avoid dwarf. Personally I feel your tank is a bit too small for the traditional centerpiece fish but I'm a very light stocker.
    I'm not sure how accurate aqadvisor.com is on stocking levels, but it seems like I may have room for something else, depending on what it is? yes or no?
    It's decent enough for a rough guesstimate when it comes to filtration. I don't think you have the room for something else.

All of these species will prefer water that isn't rock hard, a ph between 6.5 and 7.5 and a temp of 24C

Other things I like the look of, but not sure if they'd be compatible or if I'd have room for them:

Cherry Barbs
    Rio Flame Tetra/Bleeding Heart Tetra
    Rasboras
    Snails
    Shrimp
    Cherry barbs would be an alternative to the pristalla, bleeding heart.. I'd say your tank is too small. Rasboras, which of the dozen or so species that are called this do you mean? You'd have some room for a few smaller snails (no apple but nerite or malaysian) and cherry shrimp would also be an option.
    A couple of specific questions: would snails/shrimp be compatible with the corys? Or would the be competing for space and resources? Would a planted tank work okay with all of, or most of, the above listed species? Is sand a doable substrate for the above listed species?
    Any thoughts, insights from experience, etc... that can be offered would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    Sounds like a first tank. It's very common to want it all. It's best to resist temptation. Hope this helps.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchfoot55 View Post
    30 views and no opinions yet? Maybe it's just lurkers checking things out like I did for so long? Maybe my stocking hopes are just doomed to fail. I'm tough, I can take it!
    Don't worry more will come along. My stocking thread took about a week before anyone started replying with ideas and now I'm getting a ton of great feedback.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @talldutchie: thanks for the response. Just want to clarify that I by no means wanted to put all of those additional fish species in the tank, but was just wondering about their compatibility with the others I had listed. To be honest, the new aquarium "want to have them all" mentality stresses me out! lol I'd rather get good with a couple of species than go nuts with one or two of a bunch. So no need to worry there.

I went to a new LFS that I haven't been to yet today to see their stock. LOTS of variety. Not that it's a bad thing, but most of what they had seemed really small. I guess part of the fun could be watching the new fish grow and mature. They had tons of Corys to choose from, including some dwarf guys. I enjoyed watching them! As of now the plan is for a sand substrate, so I think the corys should work out fine.

As to the snails, I'm assuming these are predominately algae eaters? Are there particular varieties that don't devour plants? I saw today, and have read about a lot on the forums, assassin snails. What is the big difference between these and other types besides the shell?

0 Not allowed!
    What often works for newbies is to take down names and a few cellphone shots of what looks appealing. When you get home head to www.seriouslyfish.com and start reading.

Snails.. nerite are popular because they eat algae and not much else. I like malaysian trumpet snails because they also keep the bottom stirred in a controlled manner. The latter do breed like rabbits so require frequent control. Assasins will eat algae but love to eat another snail, they are often used to keep snail populations under control.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure I could create a whole other thread in the Dwarf Cichlids sub-section, but I absolutely love the look of the Dwarf Ramierezi Ram (or GBR???). I know they need stable water conditions before they're added and should only be introduced into a well established tank. So this question is for the distant future, not my first fish. Would one of these work in my 20g? I'm leaning toward an Amazon Biotype as the majority of the fish I'm leaning toward seem to be from that area.

Anyway, what are some thoughts on the possibility of one or two of these guys? Another stocking could be adjusted to accommodate.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in the same place, with a 20 g high planted 1 week into cycling with driftwood. Currently, I have ten glowlights in another tank waiting. Also, I've heard you can do a pair of black phantom tetras so I was going to put them in place of a centrepiece fish. I feel it adds another level. And I was going to put in 5 panda cories, a snail, and a few shrimp. And a bristlenose that I already have, but she may stay in her present tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Flame tetra are a great fish and very hardy. Bleeding hearts get pretty big and need more room.

Cherry barbs are always a good choice.

By Rasboras I'm going to assume your talking about Harlequins and they are a very good community fish.

Red would seem to be your choice for fish, so maybe 10 Harleys and 10 Flame tetras.

For a good contrast maybe get 10 black neons as an alternative to either fish.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget