· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default about to pull my hair out

0 Not allowed!
    So I went with 2x 300w jagers. One is already set from my 75 g and the other i sat to the exact same numbers. Ok well at the moment i am keeping my heat at 60 because painters, electricians, and the carpenter have been in and out all day. at moment i have no lids. ok well it gets up to 77, and one heater turns off, my orginal jager, the new one never cuts off and then the other one comes back on. I know that the heat is probably escaping but the new one is at the exact same temp, so I figured it cut off a bit. I feel like I am throwing quarters out the window every minute. I am having trouble fitting a lid for the euro-braced, since the normal black newer tanks has that small brace that has grooves for the lids to fit in. the euro is just a straight piece of glass

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    You probably need to calibrate your heater

Lightbulb Totally agree! If you don't bother to set it up right, You can't expect it to work

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Mike View Post
    You need to calibrate your heater
    Fixed [& +1]
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to the above and will add that with all the painting and carpentry going on, can't you find some building material that you can temporarily place over the top of the tank to help keep the heat in? If nothing else, get a big black garbage bag, leave it flat and fix it over the top with tape or something - leaving a space in the back or front for air exchange.

You could go to hobby lobby and for less than $20 get a couple pieces of thin plexiglass and set them over the top to help keep the heat in.

Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    find some styrofoam. should be easy enough to at least insulate the top and keep out debris.
    Thar she blows!!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not to sound like a smart@ss yall, but i know how to calibrate and have been doing it for several days trying to get it right. I figured if they were set the same they would go on and off and the same time. I finally got79.9 to 80.1 desired but it goes off for a minute then stays on for 5. and i do have like a 1/2 thick instalation on top. also repairs are upstairs. getting lid tomorrow BUT no body has answered the big question how do i do lids with the euro bracing. I mean i can get the glass cut and i have some of the bending stuff to do 2 seperate pieces. but on side that will be toward the middle of tank it has no brace but a piece of glass. if the glass is held front, back and on the side, can it hold itself on that side were it meets the euro braced glass

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You will never be able to set them both to the exact same temperature. One will always turn on before the other.

If the heaters are sized that one alone can maintain the temperature, then one will remain permanently off and the other will cycle on & off.

If the heaters are sized that both are needed to maintain the termperature, then one will remain permanently on and the other will cycle on & off.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
    You will never be able to set them both to the exact same temperature. One will always turn on before the other.

If the heaters are sized that one alone can maintain the temperature, then one will remain permanently off and the other will cycle on & off.

If the heaters are sized that both are needed to maintain the termperature, then one will remain permanently on and the other will cycle on & off.
    thats what happens now, I have one 300 that pretty much hardly goes off, then one that comes on at what should be normal times. I just feel i am wasteing money but in ideal 2 should be more economical, so should i set them at to complete diferant temps but keep them cloese, how would yall do

0 Not allowed!
    ignore the setting on the dial on the heater.

Place one heater in a large container of water (or QT tank) with accurate thermometer that you can trust. Keep adjusting the temp dial on the heater until the water is heated up to the temperature that you want according to your thermometer. Just make sure you wait about 15 minute after adjusting the dial before you check the thermometer to get a accurate temperature reading. Once the water has the stable temperature that you want, place that heater in the tank and complete the same process for the next one

The above has always worked for me.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks cliff. I will do that tomor. I know one is fine since it kept my 75 a constant 81 but the new one is a bit off apparently