· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Cave for BN Cat

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question Cave for BN Cat

0 Not allowed!
    Need to know if this is something that can be put in an aquarium safely - to use as a cave for my new BN cat: a ceramic toothbrush holder. It's the right size and has a nice big opening in the front. It would be a good size even when the little guy/girl grows up.

Can you put a ceramic item in the tank? It would be the same type of item as a glazed ceramic coffee cup.

Thanks.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I suggest reading this. It is not a cut and dried as you might hope...

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/communit...or-fish-tanks/

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moghedan View Post
    I suggest reading this. It is not a cut and dried as you might hope...

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/communit...or-fish-tanks/
    Thanks. I will not take a chance and will look for an "aquarium safe" cave.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quite a few aquarium keepers with a knack for pottery make them. There was a thread on that on planet cat not too long ago. Ah, here: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v...hp?f=5&t=37904
    That lists a lot of American suppliers.

0 Not allowed!
    PVC pipe can have substrate silicone onto it and be partially buried to disguise it or even simply slabs of tank safe rocks [I use slate] stacked accordingly can make comfy caves. It's safest IMO To bury stones until they barely protrude above the surface and put a slab of slate on top [Very stable this way] and then hollow out the substrate underneath the slab a bit. My L144 male loves a spot like this... Just an idea.

You can also buy pleco caves.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R View Post
    PVC pipe can have substrate silicone onto it and be partially buried to disguise it or even simply slabs of tank safe rocks [I use slate] stacked accordingly can make comfy caves. It's safest IMO To bury stones until they barely protrude above the surface and put a slab of slate on top [Very stable this way] and then hollow out the substrate underneath the slab a bit. My L144 male loves a spot like this... Just an idea.

You can also buy pleco caves.
    The websites are great. I have a piece of slate and there are rocks already in the tank. Maybe I will try making my own - if not, then I now know where to buy one.

He/she is an active little thing, exploring all over the tank, cleaning all the artificial plants and zooming (and I mean zooming) across the front glass. What a hoot!

Is there algae on the plants and rocks that I can't see? My BN seems to be cleaning everything! And he/she found the Hikari algae wafer again overnight. Checked out the zucchini, but went for the wafer.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd do as was suggested and make a cave with the rocks you have. My BNplec is always hanging on the bottom of his cave.
    Also - yours will find the zucchini eventually. Some here wedge a veggie wafer or piece of an algae wafer into the zucchini to lure the peco to the zucchini. As soon as it discovers fresh veggies, it will start eating. make sure you replace what's left every day to avoid breakdown of the veggie. Also - do you have driftwood in your tank? it's a must for plecos.
    have fun!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I'd do as was suggested and make a cave with the rocks you have. My BNplec is always hanging on the bottom of his cave.
    Also - yours will find the zucchini eventually. Some here wedge a veggie wafer or piece of an algae wafer into the zucchini to lure the peco to the zucchini. As soon as it discovers fresh veggies, it will start eating. make sure you replace what's left every day to avoid breakdown of the veggie. Also - do you have driftwood in your tank? it's a must for plecos.
    have fun!
    I have a nice big piece of driftwood which he loves. will try setting up the cave this weekend. There is a video of him on his driftwood in my journal.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 02-14-2013 at 12:44 AM.