· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need and want an Algae eater. A little lost ... Info please

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking to add an algae eater and a few other fish to my tank since Aquarium Adventure is having a big sale this coming weekend. I hear certain ones can get huge so I want to make sure I buy the correct one. Advice is needed...Thanks!

Oh, my tank is a 65 gallon. Inhabitants are 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 12 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 glowlight tetras and one lone panda cory cat (rest of school has died off...nothing wrong with tank... just due to old age)
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

0 Not allowed!
    If this were my tank, I would get a few more cory cats - they like company! To attack algae, perhaps some shrimp? My amanos keep everything clean in my tank. Sorry I can't recommend an algae eater fish - no experience with them.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would advise against the shrimp, the angelfish and rams will tear them to pieces. I recommend a school of 3-4 true Siamese algae eaters if you want to keep your bioload down.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies! Yes, all of my Cherry Shrimp became nice little treats for my Angelfish not too long ago so I know any kind of shrimp in the tank will not survive very long. I also know that I need more cories for the lonely little guy so they will be included in my fish purchase this coming weekend.

As far as the true Siamese algae eaters... How large do they grow and do they the brown aglae?

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 mojosodope- by far the Siamese algea eater is the best. They are fun to watch, beautiful, and hard workers. They even eat all the hard algea like black beard algea.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They grow up to 6 inches, the reason I said 'true' is that they are commonly mislabeled and mistaken for a similar fish that does eat algae, but not as much and is more aggressive. The article posted above has all the information you should need.

An alternative for the SAEs would be a bristlenose pleco but IMO, would advise against it due to the heavy, heavy bioload I have experienced with them.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cherry shrimp are great

538120_4935619306871_890291232_n.jpg

Bns are awesome algae eaters

538569_4685898023995_1807667829_n.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! You have been a great help. Especially the link andreahp provided

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Allow me to throw in my two cents for the Otocincilus.

They tend to stay below two inches in size, have a much smaller bioload than a pleco, and are the best true algae eater of fishkind. For a 65 gallon, you are going to want 6 of them, and they eat nearly all kinds of algae, save the brown and the bluegreen... as neither of those is an algae.

I am not sure about the Angel or the Rams, but if the Harleys survive, the Otos should too.

I doubt you will be able to grow enough algae to keep them fed, so include some soft veggies in your feedings. I use Zucchini on a skewer.