· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Change in Oranda behavior

0 Not allowed!
    My Oranda goldfish, Penelope, has undergone some environmental changes lately.

I moved her from a 20 gal long tank into a 40 breeder several weeks ago. Then about 2 1/2 weeks ago I added 11 White Cloud minnows (after quarantine).

Then 1 1/2 weeks ago I added two small Orandas (also after quarantine).

All was great until a couple of days ago.

On Monday, my contractor began refinishing the wood floors in my kiotchen and hearth room. He was very careful to cover the two fish tanks with light plastic while sanding and putting down the polyurethane, and no problems have shown up with any of the fish in either.

But I couldn't come into the room from Monday morning until Tuesday night, and Penelope was behaving differently then. Instead of playing in her water and in her bubble wands, she was - and still is - hanging in the water up in the right-hand top of the tank.

She is doing much better when I pay attention to her, which she was used to me doing a lot of, but left on her own she isn't playing much, though she does go through her bubbles.

I don't know whether she may be upset about the new Orandas (who would love to be swimming with her), whether she could have become constipated. The contractor fed her the first night when I couldn't come in....

I'm wondering, should I put the little ones (about 2 1/2" long v. her 5" long with all the difference in body size that implies) in a holding tank to see how Penelope responds?

I've been fasting her for about 36 hours and giving her peas, but she really only wants her NLS pellets. But I'm not seeing her poop.

Need some input!!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sallywally
    My Oranda goldfish, Penelope, has undergone some environmental changes lately.

I moved her from a 20 gal long tank into a 40 breeder several weeks ago. Then about 2 1/2 weeks ago I added 11 White Cloud minnows (after quarantine).

Then 1 1/2 weeks ago I added two small Orandas (also after quarantine).

All was great until a couple of days ago.

But I couldn't come into the room from Monday morning until Tuesday night, and Penelope was behaving differently then. Instead of playing in her water and in her bubble wands, she was - and still is - hanging in the water up in the right-hand top of the tank.

I don't know whether she may be upset about the new Orandas (who would love to be swimming with her), whether she could have become constipated. The contractor fed her the first night when I couldn't come in....

I'm wondering, should I put the little ones (about 2 1/2" long v. her 5" long with all the difference in body size that implies) in a holding tank to see how Penelope responds?

I've been fasting her for about 36 hours and giving her peas, but she really only wants her NLS pellets. But I'm not seeing her poop.

Need some input!!
    Wow - that's a lotta fish in that tank! That many Orandas is too much already along with the 11 others

When is the last time you checked your water parameters?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I checked with my API test kit and got the following:

pH 7.6 (on regular and high-pH values)
    Nitrates 10 ppm
    Nitrites 0
    Ammonia 0.75 ppm

I put some API ammonia reducing liquid into the water and will test later.
    What's you interpretation of these values?

I am figuring on going to a 75 gal tank when the smaller fish get to be Penelope's size. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves except Penelope and I still wonder if she just doesn't want them in there.