· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ryukin question and Jelly

0 Not allowed!
    Hi again members,

I was wondering if you could tell me if my Pidge is actually a Ryukin? He was adopted as a Fantail (being about 2cm big, if that) and now he is growing at a good pace and seems to be resembling a Ryukin, at least from photos I've seen anyway, what do you think please? Here is a link to a video of him, he is the white one.

He is in with Oo and Ee, 2 bubble eyes, and advice is not to put them together cause Ryukins are aggressive but Oo and Ee easily hold their own with Pidge so does anybody else have bubble eyes with Ryukins successfully?

Also, Jelly, my teeny Ranchu is in the video so wanted to ask if his eyes were very large in your opinion suggesting he is a stunted fish? He is the calico ranchu. He has always had good tank size at least when he's been with me. His increase in food doesn't seem to be affecting his growth although he does seen to have some wen growth now.

Thanks for your time.

0 Not allowed!
    I am unable to watch your video from my work computer, but I wonder why you think the fish might be stunted? Fish are stunted if they are in a tank that is too small for them to grow their full size - goldfish grow to a minimum of 6 inches.

What is a "good tank size" in your opinion for these goldfish?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It was further to a past discussion about Jelly and his size being so small. He has been housed in large tanks since coming to live with me...he is 2 years old (approx.) and still tiny.

I am always getting quizzed on tank size, I don't know huge amounts about Goldfish but I am aware they need a large tank and that's what they have. Jelly is in a nearly 300 lire tank.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    don't have answers to your questions I'm afraid but I did want to compliment you on your tank. Looks very spacious and clean.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Brhino! They seem to be very happy in their tank, I only use a few stones and some Java Moss is growing happily in there too. I have lots of filtration, a canister, a hob and 4 internals with matrix and sponges (current is okay though), I wanna make sure to keep their ammonia at 0, actually they are due for a water change tomorrow as their nitrates are edging up toward 10, I am sure they will appreciate it but it will be murky for a half a day as I use water direct from the local river and it is a bit coloured. Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it so much!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have A ryunkin with a telescopic, ranchu and a pearlscale. Never had any problems with her getting along with the gang. In fact the telescopic and ryunkin are always with each other...hanging out.

I got my ranchu from rain garden several weeks ago and she is huge...about 5 inches long. I would say your ranchu is tiny. From reading around, it appears that goldfish can be stunted from the beginning due to poor breeding quarters and then overstocked pet store tanks. But it's mostly assumptions since genetics play into it. Maybe you ranchu has genes for smaller growth?

Your ranchu is sweet with beautiful colorings. And your tank is sweet too... your fish have a good life

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a bunch Funfin! That is so great that your gang get along so well, makes me feel better for when Pidge grows into his full size, I suspect he's gonna be a monster fish!! hehehe...but I guess if there is issues then I will pop Oo and Ee into their own tank, I just hope they can always live together. Actually Oo and Ee, the bubble eye twins are kinda pushy so I reckon things will be okay, fingers crossed anyhow.

Jelly was in a VERY small tank in Petstock, maybe, 30cm x 30cm x 30cm, something tiny like that, with loads and loads of other small fishes so I guess that may have contributed but like you said, maybe it's genetic, I worry that he may have health problems though. I hope he's just a small fish and not stunted.

I saw some Pearlscales in the fancy fish store some time ago, they were kinda jolly and reminded me of boiled lollies in their wrapper!! lol

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The white goldie does look ryukin like certainly

Lovely clean tank, well done!
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like you have your bases covered...just in case things get rough.

What filtration do you use on your tank? I really like how it's bare but has a section with gravel - great idea.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks s much Alasse! That's just what I was thinking, that he was Ryukin like. He was actually the only tiny, tiny white one in a bunch of coloured fantails who were a bit largr, maybe he got mixed in with the Fantails by mistake...lucky for me as he is an awesome goldie, very active and happy.