· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: TDS in FOWLR

1. Default TDS in FOWLR

0 Not allowed!
    I started a new 120g FOWLR 2 weeks ago. My tap water TDS is 50 ppm, RODI water is 0. I've tested the TDS in the aquarium several times over the last few days and it's 5,000-6,000! I'm using the AquaFX TDS Meter. For some reason I can't find a normal range standard for water actually IN the aquarium.

Is this high TDS in the aquarium a problem? I do have a diatom/brown algae issue for the first time ever, but I'm reading that that is common in a new FOWLR (but it never happened to me before). I'm running a Fluval FX-5 right now and just added a ****-ton of Phosguard to it last night (that's all that's in it media-wise right now, aside from some dry rock scraps).

Should I be concerned about the high TDS? Will lowering the TDS help get rid of the diatoms/brown algae?

Ammonia and Nitrite are 0, Nitrate is 20.

(PS - Not to be a *****, but I already know that I need to watch out for nitrate breakthrough from the canister hahaha!)

0 Not allowed!
    You are going to get a very very high TDS reading on the aquarium water because anything in the water is measured as a impurity, including the salt and your nitrate & phosphate levels which will typically change and fluctuate somewhat in a new set-up.

Just stay focused on the TDS of the FW you use to make your saltwater with, and your nitrate, phosphate, dKH, Cal, Mag, and pH levels in the tank water
    Last edited by Cliff; 10-05-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff! What should the TDS be after I mix the salt with my RODI water? I think I may not be mixing it enough.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Measuring tds after the water is mixed in the tank is a waste of time and will tell you nothing especially considering that it measure all the dissolved solids and nothing in particular. Just keep it checked with a quality refractometer.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

You should not be adding any mixed salt water to your tank without first verifying the salinity is between 1.025 and 1.027 using a good quality refractometer
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay thanks guys! Yeah my salinity is usually 1.023-1.026 in the mixed water. I think I need to circulate it more before putting it in the tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its very easy to mix it right to a number. You shouldn't be looking at a range of 1.023 to 1.026. You should pick an exact number and mix to that everytime. What tool do you use to measure salinity?