· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Bolivian rams

1. Smile Bolivian rams

0 Not allowed!
    So after my last thread I decided not to reseal my 30 gallon and instead bought a 29 gallon from a friend. 2 Weeks ago I added 6 juvenile Bolivian rams with the intentions of waiting for a pair, rehoming the others and adding a schooling fish. My question is, if I don't add any other fish can I keep all the rams?
    They aren't shy at all they immediately come and greet me and don't hide when I do water changes. Also, I checked my water parameters and they are ammonia-0, Ph-7.5, Alkalinity-300, hardness-150, Nitrite-0, and Nitrate- I can't read exactly but it is extremely light pink? Is this ok for them? I do weekly 30% w/c and they eat flake food, they wouldn't touch the pellets, and once a week I've been giving them bloodworms. Should I add anything to that?

0 Not allowed!
    First thing. Did you cycle the tank, before you added the Rams? They're not going to enjoy cycling the tank for you. Not that any fish really enjoys it, but Bolivians REALLY don't like nasty water conditions. If the tank is cycled, then I would say that your water perameters are fine.

I probably wouldn't try and keep 6 Bolivians in a 29g tank. 1g might not sound like much, but the difference in area, between a 29g and a 30g is quite a bit. A 30g has an extra 6" in length and 6" in width, and that extra space can make all the difference in whether you have any luck in keeping that many all together. I would keep 4 in a 29g. 1 male and 3 females, then choose a nice schooling fish to go with them. If you had of kept the 30g, then I would of said, go for it!

When I keep these little guys, I feed them Hikari Gold pellets (crushed), Hikari Excel (algea and vegetable based pellet. also crushed), spirulina flake, fresh fruit (apple, pear), fresh vegies (softened shelled peas, squished up a bit. They love zuchini and pick at brocoli). Also as a treat, I give them bloodworms and brine shrimp.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with esc on this one, 6 is a bit too much, they are pretty peacefull but no doubt in cramped quarters they wouldn't be friends for long.

And +1 to 1m 3f

Feeding it is best to put them on a varied diet, mines particularly loved live brineshrimp, they got it once a week. Also they enjoyed rotifers and daphnia and a whole host of other goodies.

........... I miss my rams ..............
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I cycled it for 2 Weeks, but I was using a filter off of an already established tank. They are too small yet to tell the sex of them, my friend tried to vent them but couldn't tell yet. I guess I will have to wait a couple Weeks and rehome 2, it's sad because I love them all!
    I could still try resealing the 30 gallon, it's sitting in my bedroom empty and I do have a tube of aquarium sealer. Might be worth it now because I want to keep them all. I will start adding veggies to their diet, I go to the farmers market Saturday and will pick some up then. Thank you!

5. Default pics

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry used my camera phone so they aren't wonderful, the glass is scratched up a bit but the water is not cloudy at all. First time uploading pictures, hope it worked! Also, will start trying to vary their diet a lot more, I know the flakes aren't the best thing but when I first got them that's all they would eat. They didn't even touch the bloodworms at first, but now love them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bkay2008; 05-10-2012 at 08:31 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    There is a couple of ways that you can sex them, Bkay. I'll list them for you, and you can give it a go. Some methods you can't really use when they're young, but others you can.

1. If the anal fin is more pointed/more defined angles, squarish in shape, then it's a male. If it's longer and rounder then it's female. (There should be a noticable difference here)

2. The little breeding tube, just in front of the anal fin. Kind of looks like a little bump. Well, the male has a smaller, more pointed one, while the female has a larger more rounded one to pass eggs through. (Probably to young for this method)

3. The dorsal fin can be a give away too. The female can have a gradual slope, sloping backwards at the front of the fin. And most males can have a longer third ray (the spikes in the fin). This isn't always accurate though.

4. Males tend to be larger and more colourful. The pinks and blues brighter, and the eye spot on each side much more vibrant. (Might be to young for this method)
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, from the description if the sexes, I believe I have at least 2 males. One especially is very colorful, now I just need to discern the females for certain.

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome! If you get stuck with anything, let us know, and we'll help you out some more.