· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Behaivior of a Molly

0 Not allowed!
    I've got a female mickey mouse molly that's loosing body mass and today I notice she's coming up to objects and side swiping them with her body. I can't see anything obvious that would lead me to believe it's ich, so what's going on with her ? Also, her tail fin is not fanned out and seems contracted up.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like she's all stressed out, from something. Flashing is clear sign and so are clamped fins. If you see grains of salt on her body you have Ich. If not, she's suffering from some kind of illness, maybe in internal parasite.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with bignellm - When is the last time you changed the water in your tank?

Are there other fish in there with this fish and how large is your tank?

What were your latest water parameter readings?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    water parameters are all good, water changes of 50% each weekend, 40gal tank with 1 HOB filter and 1 canister filter. I treated the tank approx 1 month ago with Praziquantel, I lost 4 of my guppies due to their wasting away and finally dying off. Someone suggested I had a parasite problem and after the treatment period of the tank, all fish seemed to really perk up and thrive until now when this Molly starts going haywire.

I've looked closely and can absolutely no signs of ich and so far it has only affected this one molly. I was considering another round of Praziquantel in the tank due to her body wasting away but I don't know.... Kind of in an unknown predicament as to what to do......

In the tank, I have 8 female assorted breed mollys, 2 male mollys, 2 albino cory's, 1 chinese algae eater and 6 assassin snails.
    Last edited by rico334; 05-11-2012 at 05:54 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rico334
    water parameters are all good, water changes of 50% each weekend, 40gal tank with 1 HOB filter and 1 canister filter. I treated the tank approx 1 month ago with Praziquantel, I lost 4 of my guppies due to their wasting away and finally dying off. Someone suggested I had a parasite problem and after the treatment period of the tank, all fish seemed to really perk up and thrive until now when this Molly starts going haywire.

I've looked closely and can absolutely no signs of ich and so far it has only affected this one molly. I was considering another round of Praziquantel in the tank due to her body wasting away but I don't know.... Kind of in an unknown predicament as to what to do......

In the tank, I have 8 female assorted breed mollys, 2 male mollys, 2 albino cory's, 1 chinese algae eater and 6 assassin snails.
    So, what exactly are your water parameters - can you give exact readings? How long has your tank been running?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    API freshwater liquid test kit, 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites and 5.0 ppm nitrates..... cycled and running for 6 months now.