· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How to get these fine particles out of my tank water?

0 Not allowed!
    My tank water looks clear, but under close examination under bright light there are still lots of tiny particle floating around. I've been cleaning the glass regularly to get rid of young hair algae, and it looks like bits of young hair algae drifting around.
    For filter media I'm using 2 square foam pads from Aqua Clear in their hanging power filter (one pad in place of activated carbon bag, I have a planted tank). They don't seem to be catching these finer bits. Is there a filter media that can do this? I had one of these pads and regular filter floss in their earlier and it also couldn't get the finer particles.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried just simply draining your tank and refilling it?
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

0 Not allowed!
    When in doubt, do a water change.
    I'm pretty sure some really fine pads could do the trick. I have the same problem.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    a higher turnover rate would help also.
    Thar she blows!!!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    One way is to add a 100 micron or 150 micron filter media (they sell sheets.) I cut one and put it into the base of one of the canister filters baskets. Worked great. just remember that in a few days, to remove it since these get blocked fast. After the first use, they can be readded and will last a lot longer but often, one use will do the trick for a long time after it is removed.

0 Not allowed!
    As Ive learned from here water changes are the best medicine!

Then laughter of course!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa
    As Ive learned from here water changes are the best medicine!

Then laughter of course!
    Looks like your fish are going to be very happy fish!!!

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I found tossing in a good handful of Marine wool works great. Let it run a day, remove and toss...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

0 Not allowed!
    I use a home made filter full of polyester batting.
    I connect the narrow drinking end of a pop bottle or water bottle to the intake of a power head. I keep mine, so I use gel type super glue to keep them together. Cut the bottom off the bottle. Stuff snugly with filter material scrap or other polyester filter material.
    Stick it in the tank and turn it on.

Live fish can't get stuck on the batting as the pull is distributed through the batting. Particulates will usually be gone by morning.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got this stuff called 'polishing cloth' from fluval. It doesn't have a micron rating but I assume it it must be similar, anyways the only thing the fish shop had. Will run it over night see how it works.
    I'm kind of hoping that the polishing will also remove algae spores and help me reduce the hair algae.