· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Goldfish Behavior?

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept a lot of cory cats in the past, but this is my first time keeping goldfish and I've realized I'm not all that familiar with the normal behavior of these common little Cypriniformes. I currently have two little fantails in a ten gallon tank with a fifteen gallon filter. pH, nitrites, nitrates, and temperature all seem fine. They are fed 2-3 times a day (in small increments) and during feeding both are active and act like what I would expect goldfish to act like. Throughout the day they dig around in the sand and nose at stones, also what I would expect to be normal, however occasionally-and especially at night one of my goldfish hangs at the corner of my tank near the surface. He isn't holding his mouth above the water surface or gasping for air, his gills aren't moving any differently then my other goldfish that doesn't exhibit this behavior. Is he just resting? Or is something else going on? I must also mention that the goldfish exhibiting this behavior seems to have a slight deformity in his tail. He has a kink on one side of his tail so that one side kinda sticks up. He doesn't seem to have trouble swimming around though. What should I do?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have an air stone?

What is the nitrate concentration?

What are you feeding?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I have a bubble wall in my tank near the back wall.
    Nitrates are around 5.
    I feed tetrafin goldfish crisps (primary ingredients fish meal, fish oil, and dried yeast) and occasionally freeze dried bloodworms for protein, no more then what they can eat in about 20 seconds at least twice a day (3 times a day if they get bloodworms and the crisps get cut back on those days)

0 Not allowed!
    Very small tank for two goldfish plus a very small filter that is barely large enough to filter a 5 gallon. Water parmeters that "seem fine" may not be fine at all. That's why it's best to know by having your own test kit. Filters are good for just about half of what they are rated for.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Very small tank for two goldfish plus a very small filter that is barely large enough to filter a 5 gallon. Water parmeters that "seem fine" may not be fine at all. That's why it's best to know by having your own test kit. Filters are good for just about half of what they are rated for.
    By "seem fine" I meant that I had tested my water with my own kit (on a regular basis) and they were well within the normal range for goldfish. The two goldfish in the tank are only an inch and a half now, and will get a larger tank when they get bigger. My question was about the resting behavior of goldfish, especially in relation to the slight deformity in one of my goldfish's tails. I've heard they rest at night near the bottom usually, but I wasn't sure how accurate that information was.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When you say its resting at night near the top... do you mean when the lights off? Fish rest at night by picking a spot and 'shutting down'.. he might just like that spot =D.

Most of those fancy goldfish have slight deformities and have trouble swimming... Its the price to pay for generations of crazy breeding.
    Last edited by -Alex-; 05-09-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is small, you will need to upgrade as soon as possible, but with adequate water changes to keep water quality up (nitrate down) there should be no long term issues.

The food should be improved. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. In my experience it is by far the best fish food on the market right now.

Most don't rest like that. Some will rest, but usually do it at the bottom, next to a piece of decoration etc. If he is eating well, acting normal otherwise, not gasping, etc. then I would just keep an eye on things.

Did you test the nitrate with a liquid test kit?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.