· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Foam background/substrate

0 Not allowed!
    I have been given a 30 gallon tank lined on the sides and bottom with a sculptured foam substrate. It has artificial plants affixed,with rocks and hiding places molded in.It also has airstones fed by several airlines and it appears it may function like a foam filter----- it is open celled foam like filter material.I have searched many forums and aquarium supply stores on the web and have found no mention of this product.It seems to be a good idea,but I want to know if I should attempt to clean it,or how to clean it if possible.Unfortunately, it is affixed to the sides of the tank with silicone sealer.I am awaiting back surgery so I cannot turn it upside down to check the bottom, but I suspect it is glued as well.Is anyone familiar with this product?There is no sign of any gravel, sand,or any other common substrate having been in the tank.Thanks for any advice.

2. Default Further inspection reveals.....

0 Not allowed!
    I have prevailed upon my wife to move the tank outside and fill it so that I may try to get it working properly. The substrate is indeed glued to the bottom of the tank. There are removable filter pads, I guess you would call them,hidden inside the sides of the substrate material near the top.All the airstones are plugged,save one about 3" from the top.I think I understand now why this product is not in greater use.While it makes an attractive and safe tank environment,I am sure it would float if not securely fastened to the tank,thus making regular maintenance difficult.Thanks again.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure it isn't a reptile tank?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pics would help. Is it not an undergravel filter?
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

0 Not allowed!
    Is the original owner still available to ask questions of?

I would as well, worry it could be a reptile enclosure. Also, if the original owner is the designer of this background, perhaps they can help to explain how the filter part functions.

6. Default Information at last!"Scenic biofiltration system"

0 Not allowed!
    I was looking the system over again, and found the words"scenic bio-filtration system" embossed on the down-tubes, did a google search, and found they are hand made here in Ecuador.The instructions say to lightly glue at the edges only,which the previous owners disregarded,heavily gluing everywhere,thus inhibiting easy changes of plugged airstones. Now I know how to get this going again.I don't know how to post the link,so do your own search of the words in quotes. They appear to be a very high quality product.

0 Not allowed!
    Spammy posts removed. Be careful with those links if you are a new member so you aren't mistaken as a spammer.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-08-2012 at 11:43 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have seen these before. It's basically a giant sponge filter/ artificial cave background for your tank. If it's glued to the tank there will be no way to take it out of the tank to clean it. No good.