· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Can I add another dwarf cichlid?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 26 gallon bowfront, tall. Moderately planted, mostly with swords and a few wisteria.

Current stock:

9 harlequin rasboras
    4 Otocinclus
    2 Bolivian Rams (sex undetermined)
    1 true Siamese Algae Eater (will rehome when he grows too big)

Filtration isn't much of a problem - I have more than enough filtration capacity with my Aquaclear 70 and a TopFin 10 for backup, it's mostly a question of space.

Thanks...

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't. A 26 gallon bowfront is a tight fit for the 2 Bolivian Rams that you already have. If you add more dwarf chiclids, there's bound to be aggression issues.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to taurus.

I would even rehome the algae eater the now to free up real estate for the two rams you have already.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    I've actually had a breeding pair of Bolivians in a 20g tank at one stage, and they went well. But when you think of having more than 2 in the same tank, then you really need to start thinking about going to at least a 30g tank. And you should learn to sex them too. I agree with Taurus and Scotti - it's not the best size tank for any more than 2.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I'll skip another dwarf.

I'm starting to think I have two males. One of them is probably about 2/3 the size of the other (juvie?). They are slightly aggressive towards each other - usually the big one is the bully but I've seen the small one chasing the big one a few times. Not a whole lot of lip-locking, though. For the first few weeks after they got acclimated they were inseparable but I guess they drifted apart. They seem to stay apart from each other.

The only features I've seen that would help in sexing are the extended rays on the big one's tail fin, which lead me to believe it is a male.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE
    The only features I've seen that would help in sexing are the extended rays on the big one's tail fin, which lead me to believe it is a male.
    1. If the anal fin is more pointed/more defined angles, squarish in shape, then it's a male. If it's longer and rounder then it's female.

2. The little breeding tube, just in front of the anal fin. Kind of looks like a little bump. Well, the male has a smaller, more pointed one, while the female has a larger more rounded one to pass eggs through. (These can be to hard to tell apart if they're still very young)

3. The dorsal fin can be a give away too. The female can have a gradual slope, sloping backwards at the front of the fin. And most males can have a longer third ray (the spikes in the fin). This isn't always accurate though.

4. Males tend to be larger and more colourful. The pinks and blues brighter, and the eye spot on each side much more vibrant.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    For future questions on stocking just use this site:

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    For future questions on stocking just use this site:

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    AqAdvisor is the first place I go, and it said a Krib was OK, but I had my doubts so I came here. It's a useful tool but it does miss a few subtleties.

Awards Showcase

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Its a good move to ask besides using the advisor - can't beat experience.