· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Any one have a planted Malawi tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I know people recommend against it because there are very few plants where mbuna reside, while peacocks and haps tend to be in open water and not encounter plants. Yadda yadda, they need a natural environment and all that, which I tend to agree. Well, most Malawi tanks you see don't have rocks that are located in lake malawi, don't have sand, or have some kind of decoration.

Just wondering what trial and error experiments you've tried. What plants were successful and what plants were devoured?

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I keep Najas indica and duckweed in a couple of 75's that house eureka red and ruby red peacocks. The ruby reds also share the tank with 8-9 maingano, but they don't seem to bother the plants. Fast-growing live plants are helpful for maintaining water quality, particularly in crowded tanks.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting, my duckweed dwindled away and my Rubescens and the others pecked away at it. Not sure if they were just looking for food, and would eat it by accident, or if they saw it as a food source?

I haven't had 1 problem with any type of anubias, even african bolbitis (I love it) has 0 damage after 8 months and has tripled in size. Threw it in there kind of expecting it to get mangled. All the java fern is healthy too. Have a Crinum Calimistratum (African onion) as the centerpiece, which I was worried about with the leaves being so thin, but my curiosity paid off and it's thriving. Guess it tastes no good, I'm going to look into other plants in the same family, just not that common around here.
    Of course, I've sacrificed a few a long the way

0 Not allowed!
    I tried it, when I first set up my African tank, but gave up in the end. I was sick of replanting and buying more. The Java fern was left alone most of the time though. I'm pretty much hooked on the rocky look of a tank now. No plants at all. Just rocks and driftwood for me!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 25 onion plants in my show tank ( 120 gallon ) and they don't touch them at all.

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my old peacock/vic tank:

All of my tanks are planted, including my malawi tank. It's primarily anubias and java fern though, since the fish are total jerks to the plants. They were ok to the onion plants until one day they decided the onion plants must die.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    Here's my old peacock/vic tank:
    http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...20tank/035.jpg

All of my tanks are planted, including my malawi tank. It's primarily anubias and java fern though, since the fish are total jerks to the plants. They were ok to the onion plants until one day they decided the onion plants must die.
    Kinda, I have a total of two plants in my Mbuna tank lol. Im my experience most plants don't like the hard water all that much, and I think all rock Mbuna tanks just look nicer. My plants a cryps though, and are indestructible. The big one is over 2 years old in that tank and I didn't want to take it out simply because the roots are holding onto almost all of the sand in the tank, seriously that little plant on the right is a sprout from the big one. The fish like to nip at it but they never do enough damage to hurt it bad.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Looks very nice - any living plant will help with water quality.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice pics, planted malawi tank looks great... who knows sometimes you just gotta experiment!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have some plants in my malawi tank but the fish like to nibble away at my java fern and my anubis. The anubis is fairing better than the java ferns. Cichlids make a lot of fertilizer that is good for plants.