· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Scotchbonneteater's 260litre (70 gallon)

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

Should of posted this before but I'll start where I started.

My wife and son wanted to get some fish and our son Jamie is going to look after them (that'll be down to me then). She went to the Aquatics shop and was told she had to let a tank sit for 3 weeks before adding fish!!!
    My wife then spent a couple of days looking at tanks and goldfish on the internet, next thing I know she won a Juwel 260l off E-bay for £60 with built in filter, lights heater and an air pump. Wow she thought it was 26 inches long (the tank :-) but when I went to get it I nearly fell over.
    Cabinet built and tank in place it's time to fill it up with water. we decided on sand for the bottom as we already had some and some small pieces of bogwood from the LFS costing £23 so were set for our 3 week wait!!!!!!!!

Oh am I glad I found the AC forum, cycling whats that? De-chlorinator? better have a re-think!!!!

So water drained and sand removed and re-washed in DC water and new water added, visit to LFS to purchase extra external filter, (after reading on her it's a good idea) ammonia, test kit, some plants and a bubble stone.

Then the good bit A friend of mine phones to ask if we want his 2 goldies in a 90l (20 gal) tank as they have grown to big and his kids dont want them anymore I took the tank and filter (fluval2) but didn't want the fish so they went into his pond where they should of been long ago as they were Comets of 8-9 inches.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So the filter media was removed and added to my canister after 2 weeks of cycling with ammonia and that pretty much sorted my cycle within 5 days. Time to add fish 12 glowlight Danio's and 12 White cloud mountain minnows and 1 week later 5 hillstream loaches. My son (me) loves it, the minnows swim around spreading their fins at each other, the Glowlights shoal around the tank chasing each other and the loaches sit in the jetstream of 2 pumps sucking on stones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a large piece of bogwood to go in when the Java ferns and moss get here here's a pic.

0 Not allowed!
    That pc of bog wood looks really nice. Great find there
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff got it from local free ads for £25 real bargain.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cleaned out the internal filter today....wow yuck loads of nasty stuff in it. Plants for the bogwood should be here tomorrow :-)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love that piece of wood. So how many gallons is this tank?
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its 70 US gallons, the bogwood will fit I think!!!!

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Remember to be careful cleaning any filter. Specially new established tanks. Its supposed to be nasty in there.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default first loss :-

0 Not allowed!
    Added the 2 bulldog pleco's today then noticed a dead minnow stuck to the filter inflow and 1 of the danio's has a really skinny body

Java ferns and moss turned up last week so the huge piece of bogwood has gone in, I think it looks awesome but boy did the water go brown! changed 25% of water every day and now I can actually see in again. I also managed to find a 200 litre black plastic tank which I intend to run a circulation loop through the external filter to give our mates better water quality (has anyone else tried this?) and this will up my actual water content to 460 litres.