· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Stocking my 55g

1. Default Stocking my 55g

0 Not allowed!
    I'm only 4 days into my fishless cycle but figured I should start figured out what community I was going to enjoy once I'm ready.

My current setup:

56g - Dimensions 30" W x 18" D x 24" H
    65 lbs of gravel substrate
    Tetra Whisper 40 air pump running to one small airstone
    AquaClear 300/70 HOB Power Filter
    Fluval 306 Canister Filter

This is my first go and I would love to here everyone's thoughts and suggestions. Picture from AQAdvisor below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    One problem I can see arising is the multiple gouramis, that will probably end badly. Could only work if your tank was planted excessively. Bolivians I love but I have recently fallen for another dwarf cichlid and that is kribensis, colours are magnificent.

And I can't leave a stocking thread without suggesting a firemouth! Love them!

My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Let me say I have this size tank too. I have 4 angels (hoping to get a pair), 5 platies, and 1 common pleco (who will leave when he gets big).

Planting is difficult because it is so tall. Our plants arent doing so great....hoping to tie them to driftwood higher in the water column.

I am not familiar with all of those fish so I cant make too many suggestions....but good luck.

0 Not allowed!
    Rams prefer a higher temp around 76 and above, while American flagfish prefer more of high 60s low 70s. I think one or the other needs to be ditched.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @ ScottishFish - So is the rule with Gouramis to have only one per tank? And I have to agree with you about the kribensis and the firemouth. Both gorgeous. Might have to have one (or both) of those.

@ Lady10Godiva - I'm glad you said something because I have been researching plants to add. Are there certain plants you've had better luck with than others? Also, what type of lighting are you using?

@ MLB - Thanks I didnt even notice that. I guess I would choose to ditch the American flagfish as it seems as though most of the fish I am interested in perfer the higher temperature range.

Back to the drawing board.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK.. I am getting pretty close (I think) to a complete cycle so I've had some time to rethink my stock... As always any feedback is appriciated

5 or 6 - Bleeding Heart Tetra (I like most of the tetra species but these are my kids favorite)

5 or 6 - Buenos Ares Tetra (Just like the way they look. Not sure if they will school with the bleeding hearts or not?)

1 - Firemouth (Gotta agree with ScottishFish... These guys are awesome!)

5 or 6 - Long Tailed Rosy Barb - (I was sold on these due to the fins. But not sure if that makes them succeptable to nipping by the others)

4 - Peppered Cory (Wanted to have some activity on the bottom)

1 - Blue Gourami (I just love the colors on this guy)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    In a 55g I would advise on those schools being minimum 10.

If you really wan the dwarf gourami then I would highly advise on dropping one school of either the tetras or barbs and make the remaining schools around 15. This will not only look amazing, but will reduce the chances of them nipping and beating up your gourami.

Also get at least 6 cories, they thrive better in schools

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice. I like the gourami so I'll probably do like you said and drop a school and bump the number up on the one I keep.

Also, any recommendations on how I should introduce them? Based on what I've read I don't want to put them all in at once.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would say 1 school of tetras, then wait a week, add the next school of tetras, wait a week or so, then add firemouth and gourami at same time.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have tall wisteria that is doing okay. We got it tall in another tank and moved it. We just have cheapo lights right now but we are looking at a quad t5ho light that is 24 inches long. It is like 108watts I want to say. (Our water is also kinda dark because it is tannin stained from driftwood.