· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Help! otos eating wrong food!

0 Not allowed!
    When I first dropped those little guys in, the first thing they found out
    was edible(even before zucchini and spinach) were shrimp pellets for the cories.
    Even after they learned that veggies tasted good, they still loved shrimp pellets more than all else and would be right there with the cories when I feed them. But Now I have serious concerns about how healthy their abnormal diet really is. One oto has died from stomach infection, another is close to dying. I always thought that that was due to their sensitivity when newly stocked but when I come back to think, they all have died about a month after purchase, past the "critical threshold" for these fish. Are the shrimp pellets killing them?
    and anyone have tips to keep them away? Please help save the last one! he still seems healthy, but whenever the shrimp pellets drop in, there he is...

PS: sorry in case I have posted it in the wrong place, my logic was that otos also were loricariids.

0 Not allowed!
    Mine eat pellets all the time and whatever else I toss in the tank for the other stock.

0 Not allowed!
    And it does not harm them at all?
    I have always heard about not feeding "goldfish food" to tropicals and vice versa or about the importance of veggies in a mbuna's diet because of a vegetarian's long intestines or some thing in the direction.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should try to get him some new friends. They do like having playmates to chase.

My otos tend to eat whatever. What I try to do is stick their food at one end and the shrimp pellets at the other (when feeding both). My otos mostly graze on all my live plants now.

0 Not allowed!
    If the lone survivor makes it, I will definitely get some more conspecifics for him although
    till now I have been less than impressed with otocinclus. I am kind of worried though when >70% of their diet is carnivorous when they are supposed to be vegetarians. They love shrimp pellets over all else and will headbutt cories to get their share(and yes, they definitely are otos)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I know that in aquaria fish will often eat whatevers available, my pleco loves bloodworm, brineshrimp, sinking cory tablets, melon, zichinni cucumber . . . . . the list goes on.

Your ottos are merely taking advantage of the available nutritious foods. Lady Hobbs posted a video (in the chatterbox forum I think) of ottos geting caught in the wild, watch it then that will make you intent on getting him some fellow ottos, I prsonally wouldnt keep them as tank conditions are too far from their native but if I were to keep them a group of 15-20 would be my minimum.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Thank-you for all the replies, I will conclude that eating funny foods
    will not harm my otos and that the other otos died of other causes.
    To all who have addressed the fact that I only have one oto,
    I appreciate your concerns about the welfare of my fish, but as stated,
    it used to have conspecific tankmates(who died) and I am waiting to see how the
    last one does before either trying again with otos or rehoming the last one.