· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default DG not healing. Please help!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all! I am new to community tank aquariums, and I have a sick Dwarf Gourami. He had what looked like ick, and so i moved him from my 20 gal community tank to a 2.65 gal with heater and air stone. I put a little more than 1/2 tsp aquarium salt in the water more than it calls for when doing a water change with 1 1/2 gals of water from the 20 gal tank and 1 gal of new water. The next day, he had a huge "cut" from the corner of his mouth to under his eye. (I say cut, becasue even with a magnifying glass, it is hard to tell if it is part of his mouth, or gill, or a cut). Using my best judgement and thinking it was a cut, I started to treat him with Melafix, doing 10% water changes to keep the chemicals down. He got worse over the next 4 days with his gills reddening, and 2 open sores forming at the top of his gills on the opposite side of his head. I did some research online, and found a lot of people who said not to use the Melafix with the laybrynth fish, and also that most diseases could be cured with added salt and frequent water changes. Feeling bad for the little guy, I hauled him to the LFS to see what they thought was the problem. They were less than helpful, but suggested that I stop the Melafix and just add an extra 1/2 tsp of salt more than I would have. So I went home, changed about 70% of the water to try to get rid of most of the Melafix, and just added the salt. I changed 25% of the water each day for the next 11 days, adding the extra salt. the 2 sores on the side of his head healed up quite nicely, and you can hardly see where they were. The inflamation in his gills went down too, but the red "cut" on the side of his face got a little better and then started looking worse. I went to a different LFS this past tuesday where I have talked to the girl before, and she seems very knowledgable. She said that she didn't know of Melafix having any problems for the Gouramis and that I should try it again since it's for open cuts and bacterial infections. She also suggested not changing the water, since the bottle instructed to change the water after the 7th treatment. Beyond that, she didn't really know what else to tell me. I have given him the Melafix since then and had to change the water since the amonia was getting too high. The tank is now at nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ph 8, and amonia between .02ppm & .05ppm. The "cut" is still there and doesn't seem to be getting better. I don't want to put him back in with the others, but i can't figure out what is wrong with him. he is eating and swimming fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have pics posted on my facebook page under "Katrina Piersall"

0 Not allowed!
    I dunno if this is relevant, but I used melafix on my tank for a ripped fin on a tetra and my gouramis all got REALLY sick after. I've heard people say that melafix isn't safe for labyrinth fish like gourami and bettas -- I'd be doing water changes daily and praying he comes right.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    First and foremost - be carefull in following directions; when meds say not to change the water in a tank, they assume the filter is working and cycled. Your QT tank didn't have this - water changes are the ONLY way to prevernt ammonia buildup! Of course, not changing the water for a day with a small fish is fine - longer than that in a 2.5 gal tank is asking for trouble.

Second - there is no way you are measuring ammonia levels at 0.02 - 0.05 ppm - there is no such kit that I have ever seen; are you sure the ammonia level isn't 0.2 - 0.5 ppm? THis is not bad but not good for a fish with an open wound. That could be the issue right there.

Finally, I think you did a really good job - the salt, and air stone in a QT with 25% daily WC is excellent. Sometimes our best efforts are not successful.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will not put water from the 20G to the QT, it only contains fish wastes, rather just put all new fresh water. Plus, if the gourami had ick before you moved him, you might have to treat the 20G as well.

Salt and heat should do the trick if you have a heater in the QT.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.