· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question moving with fish

0 Not allowed!
    I have had my ten neon tetras in my little 10G for a month now and they are all healthy and happy, as far as I can tell. The problem is that I am moving in about a week and was wondering about advice on moving with fish, as I've never done it before.
    We did check with the new apartment and they are alright with fish. The new city is about four hours away, but the fish may need to spend twice that long (or more) in their bags, due to having to load the trailer, etc.
    The current plan is to get some bags from the lfs (so I know they won't leak) and put five fish in each bag, with tank water (obviously). Then to break down the tank and put the gravel and plastic plants in a 5g bucket with just enough tank water to keep them submerged - the idea in that being to keep the BB alive by keeping them wet. The filter media will probably go in there too. Then load the stand, tank, hood etc in the car (along with all the other stuff I have to fit in there ) and put the bagged fish in my little styrofoam cooler to keep the noise and light down.
    Once we get there and unload things, find a good location for the tank away from direct sunlight and set it back up again. Then I will probably set up the smaller bucket and drip acclimate the fish like I did when I got them and then put them into the tank with the new water.
    Question 1: when putting new water in the tank (I have no idea what the parameters will be) will putting Prime in as I add it keep the chlorine from killing my BB?
    Question 2: is it even worth trying to keep the bacteria alive? If I don't, I feel like it will be just cycling with fish again and I've heard that neons are not good to cycle with...
    Question 3: do I need to add anything to the bag water they will be traveling in? I've seen them arrive in pet stores with blue stuff in the water. Should I avoid feeding them the day before to cut down on waste in the bags?
    Thanks for any advice - I may have more questions as I think of them.
    "Life is a dance you learn as you go" - John Michael Montgomery

10G w/ 4 neon tetras (yes, I know I need to restock)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the prime should be enough as long as the water doesn't have like ammonia or anything.

if you want to transfer the fish right away and not have to wait for another cycle than yes saving the BB is VERY important.

the blue stuff is probably stress coat and it could be beneficial to buy some and also maybe some floating plants just for oxygen for the long time in the bag.

0 Not allowed!
    Question 1: when putting new water in the tank (I have no idea what the parameters will be) will putting Prime in as I add it keep the chlorine from killing my BB?Put the Prime in as you add the water, or alternatively add all the prime for the whole tank in first and then add the water - the aim is to not have any water hitting the tank before being in contact with the prime.

Question 2: is it even worth trying to keep the bacteria alive? If I don't, I feel like it will be just cycling with fish again and I've heard that neons are not good to cycle with... Yes it is definitely worth keeping the BB alive. Neons can be a bit sensitive, and keeping the bilogical filter going would be the best way. However, you don't necessarily need to keep the gravel/filter media fully submerged - it just need to stay wet - a bit of cling film over the bucket and you can get away without having sloshing water in it (can be important for a long drive!)

Question 3: do I need to add anything to the bag water they will be traveling in? I've seen them arrive in pet stores with blue stuff in the water. Should I avoid feeding them the day before to cut down on waste in the bags? The blue stuff in the bags is usually an anti-fungal agent, used for shipping fish long distance. by the time you see them in the shop, most have been in those bags for 48 hours or more. Since you are not keeping them in bags for that long, you don't need to add anything. I would, however, recomend that you get more bags and have fewer fish per bag - 2 or 3 would be ideal. Don't feed the fish for a few days before the move (some recomend up to a week, but 2-3 days should be plenty long enough). Bag the fish without too much water (2-3 cups per bag max) and as much air as you can have in the bag, to prevent them running out of oxygen (that would kill them much faster than ammonia would in a bag situation).

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I would say dizzy has some great answers there!

Since you mention its a 10 Gallon, I would think you could just keep the filter media in a ziploc baggie, with some tank water that will keep it moist.

You may have some die off, but from the sounds of it... its a less than 24 hour move, so I expect things will be just fine.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the good tips everyone The ziplock bag for the filter media sounds like a great idea, and I'll get some extra bags so I can have less fish per bag.
    So when I'm setting back up, I'll put the gravel in (kept wet, not necessarily submerged), then put Prime in the new water in the 5g bucket before I add it to the tank. Then get the plants in (they're all plastic) and let the heater do its' thing for a while. Then put the fish in the smaller bucket with their bag water and drip acclimate them for an hour or so. Then they go into the tank with the lights off for the night and I check the parameters again in the morning, keeping a sharp eye out for ammonia spikes. Am I missing anything?
    Having kept all ten alive this time (as opposed to losing 2/3rds of the fish in the 1st 48 hours when I didn't cycle, years ago) I am anxious to continue to keep them healthy. I'm not sure what the internet situation will be in the new place, but I will do my best to keep you all updated. *fingers crossed*
    "Life is a dance you learn as you go" - John Michael Montgomery

10G w/ 4 neon tetras (yes, I know I need to restock)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't know what the water will be like in your new house, why not get another 5 gal bucket and transport your current water and use it again. Just a thought.