· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What do about 1 greedy fish continually overeats?

0 Not allowed!
    I know the 3 minute rule: feed slow and minimal, only what they can eat in 3 minutes before hitting bottom. Feed only twice a day, and around the same times. Variety of food during the week includes; 2 x frozen shrimp, 2 x frozen blood worms, rest times tetra flakes or granules.

While all my zebra danios are more aggressive eaters than any other fish, have one really greedy zebra danio, think female, that goes nuts whenever feed. She is fast and aggressive to grab food. Manages to grab quite much from the top before it ever has chance to fall to bottom. Makes it difficult for food to reach bottom area for neons, cherry barbs, pangio loaches, who won't come to top to eat.

First time, noticed her stomach big wasn't sure it was food or eggs, or just a fat or older fish! She was newly bought along with other fish and not yet familiar with her appearance. Next day noticed she was thin again. Thought maybe layed eggs or it was her eating and had defecated enough. Watched her more closely next feeding. Definitely noticed her abdomen grew large after eating. Her swimming changed afterwards also, sort of wobbly-like. Now convinced it was the food, decided to feed differently: SMALL portions of food, but a variety (a little that would sink, and little other that would float), and scatter food in different locations of tank. Hoped this would distract her to feed in one area, while other food fell to feed other fish.

Results: Although all the zebra danios ate aggressively from top, she was more so. And the only one that got an enlarged abdomen. This time again really wobbly swimming in circles afterwards. Was late at night and was afraid she wouldn't survive the night. Put her in the plastic breeder incubator overnight to monitor how much she defecated and prevent other fish eating her in case she died during night.

Next morning she is still alive, swimming normally, perfectly thin again, eager to escape, and lots of "debris" (poop) on bottom of plastic breeder cage. I am temporarily leaving her in the incubator cage to withhold feedings and control her quantity of food, until get your suggestions how to handle this problem.

I know overfeeding is huge mistake and very dangerous. So I want to emphasize that I am being careful. But this zebra danio is literally nuts at trying to eat as much as possible as fast as she can.

Sometimes I feel like a new mommy with newborn baby when handling this new hobby of fish-keeping!! Worried about everything I do and the health of each fish, with lots of questions for the "obstetrician/pediatrician"---you folks!

Is there any suggestions what to do to prevent her overeating? Or should I not worry about it since so far she manages to "pass" the food through intestines okay? Should change feeding schedule to less, but more often? Suggestions on type of food?
    Last edited by WendysWorld; 05-02-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    50 gal - finally fish! 11 pangio kuhli loaches, 10 neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppies
    10 gal - temporarily closed
    5 gal - temporarily closed

Proverbs 11:14 & 15:22 -- Thanks for your help!

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 zebras in my tank - they are indeed the pigs of the tank. What I do when I feed flakes is to make sure they don't sit on the surface - I release a small amount into the water so the other fish can grab pieces. My neons are pretty aggressive about getting food - they will take big pieces and swim away so no one else can snatch food from them.

When I feed frozen food like shrimp or blood worms, I pour enough in that the danios can't grab everything - they are going to eat more than you like - sometimes putting food into a different part of the tank helps the other fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    I have 2 zebras in my tank - they are indeed the pigs of the tank. What I do when I feed flakes is to make sure they don't sit on the surface - I release a small amount into the water so the other fish can grab pieces. My neons are pretty aggressive about getting food - they will take big pieces and swim away so no one else can snatch food from them.

When I feed frozen food like shrimp or blood worms, I pour enough in that the danios can't grab everything - they are going to eat more than you like - sometimes putting food into a different part of the tank helps the other fish.

Thanks! Helpful to know. My neons are not so aggressive, but I have to laugh when see one of those little guys grab a huge flake 25% his size or grab a granule and swim off with it, nibbling as they go! Looks sort of like a dog running off with a bone to stash away!

The danios are PIGS!!! Irritating!

Her stomach was so full I imagined it would burst in the night! And her swimming was really wobbly and weird, like drunk. Thought for sure she would die. Anyway, big greedy momma, is now thin and perfectly normal!! So at least it looks like her episodes of over-eating didnt do her lasting harm---yet.

As you suggested, I'll try estimating the quantity of food better and put it in quicker, so that it sinks faster than the danios can eat to get to the other fish. I was thinking to wet the food a little first also so it sinks quicker rather than floating.
    50 gal - finally fish! 11 pangio kuhli loaches, 10 neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppies
    10 gal - temporarily closed
    5 gal - temporarily closed

Proverbs 11:14 & 15:22 -- Thanks for your help!

0 Not allowed!
    A variety of fish food types helps.
    Fat danios are full of eggs, but most fish like caviar. Some so much they'll interrupt spawning to eat the released eggs before they hit bottom.